- Food and Cooking»
- Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes
Summer Minted Cucumber Salad
Please Rate Me!
Fresh Minted Cucumber Salad
The Happy Accident
I created this yummy salad when I was getting ready to go to our friend's annual clam bake. We had just picked some cucumbers from the garden, and I wanted to use them in a salad. I found a recipe that I thought said "minted cucumbers". Mmmmmmm....that sounded good! So I sent my son to the garden to pick a big handful of mint for the salad, but as I began reading the recipe...Ooops! The title wasn't "Minted" cucumbers, but "Marinated" cucumbers. Hmmm...I still wanted to do mint. So, I just changed the recipe and made it my own. I took out all the Italian herbs and spices in the original recipe, but used the mint, added a little sugar, and kept the proportions of vinegar and oil. The result was absolutely delicious. The salad is lightly sweet, tangy and very minty. It was a huge hit at the party, and I know it will be at your table too.
- 8 cups english (hothouse) cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1 med onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chives, finely minced
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup fresh mint leaves, finely minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Thinly slice cucumbers and onions. Place in a large bowl.
- Finely mince the mint and chives, then add to the bowl with the cucumbers and onions.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients for the dressing. Mixing it in a blender works really well.
- Poor dressing over the cucumber mixture and toss well.
- Cover and chill an hour or two in the refrigerator before serving to let flavors meld, and to allow the cucumbers to get crisp.