Summer Minted Cucumber Salad
Please Rate Me!
Fresh Minted Cucumber Salad
The Happy Accident
I created this yummy salad when I was getting ready to go to our friend's annual clam bake. We had just picked some cucumbers from the garden, and I wanted to use them in a salad. I found a recipe that I thought said "minted cucumbers". Mmmmmmm....that sounded good! So I sent my son to the garden to pick a big handful of mint for the salad, but as I began reading the recipe...Ooops! The title wasn't "Minted" cucumbers, but "Marinated" cucumbers. Hmmm...I still wanted to do mint. So, I just changed the recipe and made it my own. I took out all the Italian herbs and spices in the original recipe, but used the mint, added a little sugar, and kept the proportions of vinegar and oil. The result was absolutely delicious. The salad is lightly sweet, tangy and very minty. It was a huge hit at the party, and I know it will be at your table too.
- 8 cups english (hothouse) cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1 med onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chives, finely minced
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup fresh mint leaves, finely minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Thinly slice cucumbers and onions. Place in a large bowl.
- Finely mince the mint and chives, then add to the bowl with the cucumbers and onions.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients for the dressing. Mixing it in a blender works really well.
- Poor dressing over the cucumber mixture and toss well.
- Cover and chill an hour or two in the refrigerator before serving to let flavors meld, and to allow the cucumbers to get crisp.
The Qualities of Mint
view quiz statistics