- Food and Cooking»
- Cooking Ingredients
Summer Salad Recipe
Summer salads are one of the best things about summer. They are refreshing and crisp. The best salads are those that are those combine elements of sweet with the tangy. They are colorful and alluring. A well-prepared salad entices you, compelling you to sit down and enjoy.
If you are looking for a new twist on the summer salad, try the following:
- Mixed greens including green and red leaf lettuce, arugula, endive and romaine
- 4 Grilled chicken breasts, marinated in red raspberry vinaigrette
- Diced cucumber (1)
- Red raspberries (1 pint, evenly divided)
- Blackberries (1 pint, evenly divided)
- Sliced strawberries (1 pint, evenly divided)
- Sliced or rings of red onion
- Feta Cheese (crumbled)
- Cheese or garlic croutons
- Red Raspberry Vinaigrette (fat free)
Marinate chicken breasts in red raspberry vinaigrette for 2-4 hours prior to grilling. Preheat grill to 500 degrees (or use broiler). Spray non-stick coating onto grill rack or broiler pan before grilling. Heat each chicken breast about 4-5 minutes each side or until juices run clear. Allow to cool slightly and slice into strips.
I don't measure my ingredients. It is far more pleasing to fix each salad to taste. For example, I prefer more sliced strawberries and cucumbers, but fewer raspberries and blackberries.
The feta cheese is sprinkled on the top to taste. While feta can be mildly pungent, it provides the perfect compliment to the sweetness of the berries and dressing. The red onion is more mild than the white or yellow onion and helps to add more color to the salad, and provides a successful contrast to the sweet fruits. The brilliant red berries lying against the rich greens creates a visually stunning meal.
Serve salad with a loaf of rustic bread such as sourdough, or with hints of garlic or Parmesan cheese.
Hubs Including Great Recipes
- Pinot Noir - A High Maintenance Wine that is Well-Worth the Effort
Pinot Noir A High Maintenance Wine that is Well-Worth the Effort The sensual, rich flavors of a great Pinot Noir make this challenging grape well worth the effort it commands. I recently read...
- Holiday Brunch: Creating an Easy, Delicious Meal
Holiday Brunch The holidays are traditionally a time for families. Life can get hectic with holiday shopping, entertaining and other commitments, but its the warmth, joy and togetherness that make it...
- Healthier Versions of Your Favorite Meals
HEALTHIER VERSIONS OF YOUR FAVORITE MEALS Lets face it, most of us love to eat! We grew up sitting around the family table, talking, laughing, and reminiscing about our day over our...
- Family Meal Time: The Importance of Eating Dinner Together
Creating a Healthy Family Mealtime Routine The family dinner table is the place where loved ones gather at the end of a long day, talk about school and work, make plans for the future and truly learn to...
© 2011 Jaynie2000