If you’re looking for a fun and easy way to make a batch of everyone’s favorite chocolate frosted brownies stand out from the crowd at your next party or event, try making these cute sunflower brownies.
You don’t need cake decorating experience or any supplies from a specialty store. Everything used in this simple recipe can be found in the baking aisle in most grocery stores.
Sunflower Brownie Ingredients
- 1 Box Brownie Mix
- 1 Can Chocolate Frosting
- 2-3 Tubes Yellow Icing, (4.25 ounce tubes)
- 1 Large Tube Chocolate Icing or Cookie Creme
You'll Also Need
- 1 Petal or Leaf Cake Decorating Tip
- 1 Star Shaped Cake Decorating Tip
- Eggs, Oil, Water, per instructions on your Brownie Mix box
- Metal or Glass Baking Pan
- Metal Spatula
- Frosting Knife
- Make a pan of brownies following the directions on your brownie mix box. Any type or flavor of brownie mix works fine for these.
- Allow them to cool completely and then frost them with chocolate frosting. Be sure to spread the frosting smoothly so you have a flat surface for the sunflowers.
- Put the pan of frosted brownies in the refrigerator for about an hour. The frosting needs to set and firm up enough to cut them neatly.
- Once the frosting is firmer, cut the brownies carefully into squares or rectangles and remove them from the baking pan with a metal spatula.
- Arrange them on the plate or serving tray you plan to use.
- Put the cake decorating tip used for making petals or leaves on your tube of yellow icing.
- If you’re not familiar with cake decorating, make a practice sunflower or two on plate before you make one on a brownie.
- Making the petals is easier when you start in the center of the flower and slowly pull the frosting tube outward.
- Use the yellow icing to make a sunflower in the center of each brownie.
- After all the yellow petals are done, put a star shaped cake decorating tip on your tube of chocolate icing or cookie creme and make a brown center for each sunflower as shown.
A Couple Tips
- For a large 13” x 9” pan of brownies, you will need two to three 4.25 ounce tubes of yellow icing to make sunflowers on each brownie depending on the size of sunflowers you make. If you’re making an 8" or 9" square pan, you will probably just need one or two tubes.
- Take your time making the sunflowers and don’t worry about them looking perfect. It takes some practice to make designs with frosting, so just make them your own.
Like this recipe? Please vote...
© 2013 carolynkaye