How to make Fabulous Frozen Drinks-Bartending 101 using Vodka and Limoncello for cocktails
The days are getting longer, the air is getting warmer, summer is quickly approaching. There is nothing better than sitting on your back porch in the evening sipping on your favorite adult beverage. Whether you prefer vodka or rum, orange juice or coke, I have compiled a collection of special drinks designed to cool you down on those hot summer days and nights.
Vodka Based Cocktails
When I think of summer drinks my mind immediately goes to the beach and fruity cool beverages. Try one of my favorites-or try them all, I guarantee you will love them.
1. Lemon Heaven - This is a new drink that I mixed together one night when I was alone at home with my hubby. If you like fruity drinks but don't like them too sour-the limoncello in this cocktail will balance it for you. Make sure to use a tall ice filled glass-absolutely yummy! 2 oz. Limoncello, 2oz Peach Schnapps, 4 oz orange/pineapple juice. Add all ingredients to a shaker filled with crushed ice then strain into a glass- absolutely fabulous!
Note-if you don't want to spend $30 on a bottle of Limoncello you can make it yourself at home. Limoncello Recipe: 2-750 ml liters of vodka, 15 lemons, 4 cups of sugar, and 4 cups of water. Wash the lemons thoroughly-you are only going to use the rind or zest of them. When you zest the lemon be sure not to include any of the white pith as it will make the liquor bitter. Add the lemon zest and 1 bottle of the vodka to a gallon jar and let sit for at least 2 weeks. After two weeks add the other bottle of vodka and the simple syrup you have made by boiling the water and sugar together-let the syrup cool then add it to the vodka mixture. Let sit for at least 2 more weeks then strain out the zest and refrigerate.
2. Red Rooster- Be sure to use Cranberry Juice-not cranberry juice cocktail-the results won't be the same. 2 oz vodka, 4oz cranberry juice, 1 oz orange juice. Using a shaker, mix all ingredients together and strain into an ice filled glass. Note: If you decrease the amount of cranberry juice, replace the orange juice with pineapple juice,and add 3 oz of peach schnapps you have a Sex on the Beach .
3. Watermelon Slush- 4 C frozen watermelon cubes, 1/2 to 1 cup of vodka depending on taste, 2 oz simple syrup (water-sugar mixture), 2 oz either melon liquor or triple sec. Using a blender or food processor puree the frozen watermelon cubes. Add the rest of the ingredients and blend well. Pour into chilled glasses (the drink will begin to separate if the glasses are warm).
4. Purple Passion Martini -to make this drink you need to make your own blueberry vodka. To do this you need 1 liter of vodka, a pint of blueberries, and some raspberry flavored liquor (Chambord). Wash and dry the blueberries then poke a hole in each with a corn cob holder. Empty 1/3 to 1/2 C. of the vodka into a container. Add the blueberries to the remaining vodka in the bottle. Fill the bottle to the neck with previously removed vodka. Top off with chambord. Cover and let steep for at least two weeks. To make the cocktail add 2 parts blueberry vodka to 1 part Chambord in an ice filled shaker. Shake-strain-yum!!
- How to Bartend, Home Bartending Easy Mixed Drink Recipes and Cocktails for your next party
Mixed drinks in restaurants and bars are expensive. My husband and I went out to have drinks one night and I was shocked to see that I was charged $8 for a long island ice tea. I knew that I could...
Rum Based Drinks
1. Texas Tea-This tea is better than Long Island because it is from TEXAS!! 1oz rum, 1oz vodka, 1 oz tequila, 1 oz triple sec, 12 fluid oz. cola product. Add spirits to tall ice filled glass and top off with cola product. To add a twist to this drink use flavored rum. Coconut is fabulous!!
2. The Classic Bahama Mama- This drink is a classic summertime cocktail. I like em big!! 2oz rum, 2oz coconut rum, 2 oz grenadine, 4 oz pineapple juice, 4 oz orange juice. Shake, Shake, Shake the ingredients together and pour into a TALL glass of crushed ice. Then sip, sip, sip all afternoon! Gotta Love It!
3. Rum Runner- Watch out-this one will get you. It packs a punch! Don't say I didn't warn you. 1 1/2 oz rum, 1 1/2 oz coconut rum, 1/2 oz banana liquor, 1/2 oz blackberry brandy, 1 oz sweet and sour mix, 1 1/2 oz orange juice, dash of grenadine. Add spirits to tall ice filled glass and top with sweet and sour mix and orange juice. Yummy!!!
Frozen drinks aren't hard to make. All you need is a good blender, ice, and lots of straws. Here are some frozen drinks that are sure to cool you off during those hot summer nights.
1. Irish Creamsickle- Ok, I have to admit that Irish cream is probably my favorite liquor. In the summer I like to keep it in the freezer so it is nice and cold and drink it with milk. When wanting a dessert I like to make my creamsickle. 1 C vanilla ice cream, 3/4 C milk, chocolate syrup, Irish cream. Put all of the ingredients in your blender and blend until smooth. Use as much or as little chocolate syrup and Irish cream as you would like. A variation of this drink is the Nutty Irish Creamsickle where you omit the chocolate syrup and add Frangelico. (Note: I have tried all types of Irish Creams and find that my favorite is Carolins. Carolins has a slight honey taste to it that makes it especially yummy.)
2. Frozen Blue Tropics- 1oz rum, 3oz pineapple juice, 1oz blue caracao, 1oz coconut rum. Blend all ingredients with 1 cup of ice at high speed in your blender until smooth. Garnish with sliced pineapple.
3. Sex on Ice-1 oz vodka, 1oz rum, 1 oz Razzmatazz liquor, 1/2 oz strawberry schnapps, 1 oz Cherry Berry Pucker schnapps, 2 oz sprite. Mix all ingredients together with 1 cup of ice at high speed in your blender until smooth. This drink is very sweet-to lessen the sweetness you can add a little more vodka to taste.