- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes»
- Quick & Easy Dinners
Super Yummy, Easy Peasy, Southern Style Chicken and Dumplings
So what do you think?
This was my grandmother's recipe, tweaked a bit by me :-)
Growing up, my grandmother made chicken and dumplings regularly. It wasn't until later in my life, after she passed away, that my mother shared with me her secret for making the dumplings. Rather than spending 30 minutes or more making and kneading dough, she simply cut up flour tortillas! Apparently they contain the same ingredients as homemade dumplings... who knew?! Her original recipe also called for added butter, which I've omitted, and whole skinned chicken parts, which I've traded for boneless, skinless chicken breasts, in an effort to make it a little less fattening. But I have to admit, the extra fat added to the broth when you use whole skinned chicken parts does improve the taste :-)
For a side, my family has always loved baby sweet peas with just a splash of butter and salt. Yummy!
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, shredded
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- Pack of 10 large flour tortillas, cut into medium-sized pieces
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Creole seasoning, to taste
- Place chicken breasts in a pot and cover with water. Add salt, pepper and creole seasoning (I highly recommend Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning). Bring to a boil.
- While chicken is boiling, cut flour tortillas into medium sized pieces.
- Boil chicken until cooked throughout. When done, remove chicken from pot, leaving water. Allow chicken to cool and shred or tear into bite-sized pieces. Return chicken to pot with water.
- Add cream of chicken soup and cream of mushroom soup to pot with water and chicken pieces. Add additional salt, pepper and creole seasoning, to taste. Stir well.
- Bring to a rolling boil, then toss tortilla pieces in one at a time. Do not stir! You can push the pieces into the water with a spoon, but do not stir! Add more water if needed.
- Once all tortilla pieces have been added, boil for an additional 5 minutes, then remove from heat and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Broth will thicken as it cools.