- Food and Cooking»
- Starter & Snack Recipes
Super easy, healthy and budget friendly Granola!
Granola snack or breakfast cereal or both?
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1 1/2 cup pecans
- 1 cup shredded coconut, I extracted mine fresh from the coconut, but you can also just buy it already prepared
- 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons maple syrup, only real will work
- 1/4 cup agave
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 cup raisens
Health and delicious granola!
Easy, healthy, budget friendly and delicious granola
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees F
- In a large bowl combine, oats, nuts, coconut, salt and cinnamon. Then add coconut oil, agave and maple syrup.
- Stir it together with a big spoon or spatula until all the syrups are coating the dry ingredients. I like to make sure the coconut oil is well distributed so I just go ahead and stick my hands in the bowl and squish the granola around until there are no longer clumps of oil.
- Bake it on parchment paper using a large cookie tray. I have a huge tray but if you don't, spread it out on two. You only want about 1/2 inch layer. Stir your granola every 20 minutes to insure even cooking and color.
- After baking remove from oven and sprinkle on the raisins. Let it cool in the tray and then transfer to a storage container. I imagine it will last for weeks in the pantry along with other cereals, but I have no idea-- it never lasts that long in our house!
Healthy, easy, fast and delicious granola!
My husband spent some years of his youth in Europe. I think that's why he loves granola. If I leave him to pick a breakfast cereal he inevitably comes back to the cart with granola! I have to admit it's not been my favorite breakfast item. It's either too crunchy, too sweet or just so darn expensive. I also feel the same way about protein and snack bars. So in my quest to satisfy both in my house, I came up with this recipe! I hope you love it as much as my husband and I do. I have tested on one of my friends and she claims she and her husband ate all of it in one day! Healthy granola is a great source of fiber!
To make this recipe super easy, inexpensive and fast to prepare, I buy all of my ingredients at the bulk barrels of my grocery, sort of eyeballing the amounts needed for the recipe. This way, once home, you can just chuck it all in the bowl along with your liquid ingredients. Quickly, you'll be ready to bake.
I also make a cashew version that has won raved reviews. In that version you skip the cinnamon and use I cup of whole cashews. I mix together 1/2 cup of raw unsalted cashews with 1/2 cup of roasted and salted. It's such a nice fiber and protein boost for breakfast leaving you feeling energized and full longer! It also makes a great dessert served with vanilla yogurt. You have to try it!