- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Recipes from Susan's kitchen.
Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings
Best Ever Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings
It's a tie whether the best chicken and dumplings come from Cracker Barrel or Po' Folks. But if you don't want to go to a restaurant, this recipe is the best crockpot chicken and dumplings recipes I've made, and I've tried several chicken and dumpling recipes since I got my crockpot.
I make this with Campbell's Cream of Chicken with Herbs Soup, since the herbs and spices are already mixed in the correct proportion. However, feel free to substitute a different brand of soup if you have a favorite brand. You may also substitute Cream of Chicken with Mushrooms or plain Cream of Chicken soup, if you prefer to experiment with your own herbs. The woman I got this recipe from recommended a teaspoon each of poultry spices, pepper, and paprika; I've modified it slightly to suit my family's tastes. During the experimentation process, I tried thyme, pepper, paprika, and basil, and that came out quite well. Experiment with your own favorite spices.
- 2 cans Campbell's Cream of Chicken with Herbs Soup
- 1 can chicken broth
- 1 can water
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 cans biscuits
- dash paprika, (optional)
- dash black pepper, (optiona)l
- 1/2 carrot, chopped (optional)
- Place chicken breasts in crockpot. If using additional spices, sprinkle on top of chicken.
- Mix two cans of cream of chicken soup, 1 can of chicken broth, and one can of water in a bowl. Pour over chicken.
- I prefer Campbell's Cream of Chicken with Herbs, as the spices are already mixed in the correct proportions . However, you may substitute Cream of Chicken with Mushrooms if you like mushrooms, or plain Cream of Chicken soup if you prefer to add your own spices, or one can of Cream of Chicken soup with one can of Cream of Celery soup.
- Set crockpot for 8 hours, low heat.
- At seven hours, remove the chicken from the crockpot with a slotted spoon. Chop into bite-size pieces and return to crockpot.
- If you are adding extra vegetables ( chopped celery, chopped carrots, peas, etc.), add them now. Stir them into the creamy chicken broth.
- Remove the refrigerated biscuits from the cans. Chop into bite-size pieces. Add the biscuit pieces to the creamy chicken broth; stir them in and continue cooking one more hour.
- Garnish with parsley, if desired. Scoop into bowls and serve.