Sweet Misery: Tale of a Good Cake Gone Bad- Bonus White Almond Doctored Cake Recipe
I've always had high expectations of myself. Always wanted to do things bigger and better. Being the total novice that I am, I'm in complete denial. After watching episodes of Cake Boss, Amazing Wedding Cakes, and Cake Wars, I find myself saying "I can do that!" That's where my new found hobby comes in. With a family of seven, birthdays roll around often. I wanted more than a simple grocery store sheet cake. So I began to dip my toes into the baking world. The baking community can be very cutthroat. Have you heard of "cake wrecks"? Google it! Sad so very sad!
My latest endeavor gone bad was a simple spiderman cake. It was to be a 3D replica of spiderman's bust. A tutorial on www.frostingfun gave very precise directions. Yet I still failed miserably. My dreams of a totally cool cake were replaced with a scaled down version. I winged it and recovered gracefully. With that being said, dip your toes! Why not free fall into the world of baking. You may fail miserably and appear on www.cakewrecks or you may make one little kid feel very special.
Combine 1 Cup of sugar and 1 Cup of Water in a saucepan and boil until completely dissolved. Allow to cool and store in an airtight glass jar. Syrup lasts about a month in the refrigerator.
Can we fix it? Yes, we can!
When presented with a wreck of a cake like my Spiderman blunder remember Bob the Builder! He had the right idea!!! "Can we fix it? Yes, we can!" Bringing a cake back from the brink of disaster is an art unto itself. With practice, proper decorating tools and new techniques under your wing anyone can turn a cake wreck into something worthy of a smile. Here's how!
- Invest in proper cake decorating tools. Don't underestimate the importance of an offset spatula, cake turntable, nice sturdy pans etc.
- Invest in cookie/fondant cutters in a variety of themes. This is a simple way to make a cake topper! Simplicity is better, most of the time!
- Learn the Frozen Buttercream Transfer Method. This method is a lifesaver. All you need is wax paper, a coloring page and icing! Give it a try!
- Want a cake with a big impact. Try a Chocolate Candy and Cookie Cake. By placing Kit-Kats around the perimeter of a cake you eliminate the stress of having a perfectly iced cake. Little effort, big impact!!
- Is your cake dry? Basting your cake with Simple Syrup may be just what you need to bring it back to life. I use Simple Syrup with most of my cakes!
- When all else fails apply an edible image! There are tons of edible images/ cake tattoos on the market. Simply peel back paper and apply to icing. The image actually melts into the icing!
Spiderman Cookie Cutters...can be used for fondant!!
Spiderman Bust Cake
Spiderman Bust Cake video
Bonus White Almond Doctored Cake Mix Recipe
I love to bake cakes from scratch but in some cases I prefer a doctored cake mix. My go to cake recipe for a simple wedding cake is a WASC cake recipe. This cake is moist with a delicate crumb, simply divine. If you do not like almond flavoring, this cake is quite versatile so use whatever you prefer! Give it a try to let me know how you like it!
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp pure almond extract
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup water
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour pan(s).
- Sift together flour, cake mix, sugar, and salt. Mix eggs, sour cream, water, vanilla and almond extracts with dry ingredients. Mix on low speed for about 4 minutes.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pan(s), and bake until golden brown or toothpick inserted comes out clean. (about 27 minutes)