Sweet Potato Balls Recipe - Delicious Snack
This is a popular street food in Indonesia (known as bola bola ubi), Thailand (khanom nok krata) and Malaysia. These sweet snack are made of sweet potatoes (sweet yam), sugar and flour. Some cooks love to use tapioca starch or glutinous rice flour to get a chewy texture but I love soft sweet potato balls. Thus instead of tapioca starch, this recipe calls flour as one of the ingredients.
These easy to make sweet potato balls are tasty and very inexpensive. They are crunchy but also soft and chewy, and of course eye candy with their golden orange color.
- 1 lbs sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- 1 qt canola oil
How to Make
- Put the sweet potatoes in a pot and add water to cover. Bring it to a rolling boiling. Lower the heat to medium-high. Cook the potatoes about for about 30 minutes or until soft. Then drain and let it cool.
- When it's cool enough to handle, peel the skin. Use a potato masher to mash the sweet potatoes. Then add the sugar. Stir to combine.
- Shift the flour gradually. Mix thoroughly.
- Shape the mashed sweet potatoes into small balls, each about 1 1/2-inch or 2 -inch in diameter.
- Heat oil in a wok over high heat to 350 F. Deep fry the balls about 2 - 3 minutes or until golden brown. Serve it wam or at room temperature.