- Food and Cooking»
- Cooking Ingredients»
- Fruit Ingredients
Sweet Simplicity Berry Pie
When I was a little girl I enjoyed baking cookies and cakes for my mom. It didn't matter how raw or under baked it was, Mom would always say, with a big smile,
"Mmmmm, its so good!"
Baking, a Lifelong Joy
When it comes to baking, the eating part is definitely my favorite! I've enjoyed baking all my life. When I was a little girl I would bake cakes and cookies. I especially enjoyed baking something special for my mom, then laying it out on a pretty plate for her and then presenting it to her. She would always say, "It looks like a picture right out of a magazine".
I didn't have all the skills that I do now for baking, so sometimes, the cookies and cakes weren't cooked thoroughly. Like a good parent, after Mom filled me with her compliments about how good it looked, she would take a daring bite. Regardless of how raw or undercooked it was, she would give me a big smile and tell me it was delicious! Her compliments always encouraged me. I baked for her and then for our family and my friends. As I got older my baking skills got better. I also realized I needed to cook things a little longer.
As an adult, I look back and think how Mom's encouragement played such a big part in my enjoyment of baking all my life. Now I find myself eating those same kinds of half-baked cookies and cakes made by MY children. I make a big fuss over the pretty presentation, take that daring bite, like Mom did, and with a big smile I always say, "Mmmm, its so delicious".
This is Gonna Be Great!
Now I'm a big girl and I know how to bake! I really enjoy recipes that are made with fresh vegetables, fruits, lean meats and a minimum of ingredients.
This Blackberry Pie recipe is my absolute favorite! It has fresh fruit and a minimum amount of ingredients to bring out the full flavor of the blackberries! The pie dough has crushed almonds in it. There's something about nuts in a pie shell that I find incredibly delicious!
Now that I have my mouth watering and maybe yours too, lets get down to baking!
- 8 cups Fresh Blackberries
- 1 1/3 cup Flour
- 3/4 cup Almonds, minced
- 1/4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Sugar, save a pinch to sprinkle on top
- 1/3 cup Butter, room temperature
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- 2 Tblsp Lemon Juice
- 3 Tblsp Cornstarch
- In a medium bowl mix: flour, almonds, baking powder, and salt.
- In a bowl beat together 1/3 sugar, butter, egg yolk and vanilla. Gradually add flour mixure. Beat together until a dough forms. (Add water by teaspoonful as needed to make dough)
- Refrigerate the dough until chilled. (1/2 hour to 1 hour is good)
- While dough is chilling: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease or spray a nine inch pie dish. Set aside.
- Rinse blackberries and place in large bowl fold in: sugar,cornstarch and lemon juice. Pour into pie dish.
- Roll out dough into a circle on a lightly floured cutting board. Slice 1 inch strips of dough and place on pie in a lattice work fashion.
- Bake for 1 hour on 350. Sprinkle with sugar. Allow to cool 10 to 15 minutes. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream (optional). Enjoy!!
|Serving size: One Slice|
|Calories from Fat||108|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 12 g||18%|
|Saturated fat 4 g||20%|
|Carbohydrates 47 g||16%|
|Fiber 9 g||36%|
|Protein 10 g||20%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|