Swiss Chard and Chicken Hot Dog Spaghetti
I bought swiss chard on impulse one day after reading a post from Thug Kitchen about swiss chard. I had heard that it was nutritious and tasty, but it was one of those strange leafy greens that as a student I don't often bother with, since I'm not too big on cooking. I don't like to spend time in the kitchen on experimental meals (such a waste if they don't turn out well!), so this was a rare moment of culinary adventure for me. I was rewarded with a surprisingly nice dinner!
This is a flexible list, I think a different pasta such as penne would have worked just as well, but I happened to have spaghetti so that's what I used.
Red Swiss Chard
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 bunch swiss chard
- 2-3 chicken hot dogs, sliced
- salt and pepper
- 2 leaves fresh basil, (or 2 tsp dried)
- Wash swiss chard thoroughly. Heat oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat and start the pasta so it can cook while you do everything else.
- Slice the stems from the swiss chard leaves. Watch the video to see how to properly prepare swiss chard for cooking. Some people suggest discarding the stems, but I simply cooked them a bit longer than the leaves and they were perfectly tasty. Chop the stems as you would chop up celery into small pieces, and chop the leaves into larger bites.
- Add the onions and swiss chard stems to the frying pan. Cook at medium heat until stem pieces are almost soft enough to eat. Add the hot dog pieces and cook, stirring, until they begin to brown.
- When hot dogs begin to brown, add the swiss chard leaves, salt and pepper to taste, and chopped basil. Stir and let cook until the leaves have wilted.
- When pasta is cooked, drain and combine with the other ingredients. Enjoy!
Video: How to Prepare Swiss Chard
Do you like this or have a suggestion?
I think this recipe might benefit from a sauce of some kind, so if you have any suggestions please share them in the comments! I am not a cook by any means, so I would love to hear your feedback on how this could be improved :)