- Food and Cooking
Swiss Cheese Ball with Seasonal Sprinkles
This Is Not a Dessert Cheese Ball
It's just mildly sweet.
No sugar or candy is added to it except for the decorative sprinkles ... but the suggestion the sprinkles provide, plus the mildness of the cheese ball, will make it taste sweet to your guests.
In the photographs here, I have rolled the cheese ball in green sugar for St. Patrick's Day (or a Spring or Garden theme ... or whatever else calls for shocking green!). You can customize your cheese ball to fit any colors or occasion just by buying the right sprinkles. You can roll it in Valentine's hearts, for example, or multicolored sprinkles ... whatever looks pretty to you. Just be sure you don't put the sprinkles on until right before serving, because after a while their color will bleed onto the white cheese and make it less appetizing. (How long it takes to bleed depends on the type and color of sprinkles you use.)
Thaw cream cheese: 1/2 hour or more (can thaw overnight)
Prep: about 40 minutes
Chill: 2 hours to overnight
Roll in sprinkles: about 5 minutes
- 1 8-oz. package cream cheese, softened
- 1 Tablespoon chopped onions, (optional)
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups Swiss cheese, grated
- about 1/8 to 1/4 cup sprinkles, of your choosing
- Soften cream cheese. Chop in large pieces and place in a mixing bowl.
- If using onions, saute in oil or butter until soft. Set aside to cool.
- While onions are sauteing, grate 1 to 1 1/2 cups Swiss cheese.
- Using a mixer, beat the cream cheese until smooth, scraping bowl. Add onions (once they have cooled down a little), and beat until combined. Add Swiss cheese, about a quarter cup at a time, and beat after each addition until combined, stopping as necessary to scrape the bowl and beaters.
- With buttered hands, form the mixture into a ball. Wrap ball in plastic wrap or waxed paper and put in the refrigerator to chill for at least an hour.
- Just before serving, prepare a serving platter. In a separate dish, pour out sprinkles. Remove cheese ball from the fridge and unwrap it. Roll it in the sprinkles until covered. You may need to pour additional sprinkles on and even press lightly with your fingers, to cover any bald spots that form on your cheese ball. For larger sprinkles, you may need to apply and lightly press some with your hands.
- Place on serving platter. Serve with crackers. If you have selected an appetizing color of sprinkles, be prepared for oohs and ahhs.