Taco Salad Recipes, Suggestions, and Hints for Picky Eaters
Getting children, and sometimes husbands, to eat a healthy diet full of vegetables can be difficult. One option for tricking picky eaters into a healthier diet is to sneak vegetables into meals that they already eat. Such as, sneaking more vegetables into the spaghetti sauce, or adding vegetables to taco night (this is easily done by making them "fajitas" instead and mixing the cooked veggies and meat together in the skillet before serving.)
If you're lucky enough to already have your picky eater eating tacos with vegetables, the next step can be turning it into Taco Salad. The basis for the recipe is simple, but the options are endless, and by adding the brightly colored Catalina dressing, it can cover up a multitude of hidden veggies.
This is the recipe that I grew up on, and it was about the only time that I saw my brothers eat vegetables at all.
|Serving size: 1/8 of Prepared Salad|
|Calories from Fat||207|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 23 g||35%|
|Saturated fat 8 g||40%|
|Carbohydrates 34 g||11%|
|Sugar 7 g|
|Fiber 3 g||12%|
|Protein 27 g||54%|
|Cholesterol 73 mg||24%|
|Sodium 580 mg||24%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Make it Healthier
If you're not fixing for picky eaters, a few changes can make this not so healthy salad a lot healthier.
- Switch in organic tortilla chips instead of the Doritos.
- Add salsa for extra produce.
- Add shredded carrots. olives, or bellpeppers
- Use your favorite low-fat dressing instead of Catalina.
- Instead of using a packet of taco seasoning, season with your own blend to reduce the sodium.
- When browning the meat, add some minced garlic or garlic powder to the meat. This will add more flavor, as well as the cancer fighting benefits of garlic.
The basic recipe is simple, but since it is a salad, it's simple to add the vegetables that are already acceptable as well as add any thinly sliced nutritious produce that you may have on hand.
- 1 lbs ground beef or turkey (preferably organic)
- 1 packet of taco seasoning
- a few stalks of celery
- 1 head of iceberg lettuce, or your favorite mix of greens
- 2 cups of cherry tomatoes
- 1 can of beans (rinsed)
- 1 bag of Nacho Doritos
- Chopped green onions
- shredded cheese
- 1 bottle of Catalina Dressing
1. Brown the hamburger meat in a medium sized skillet over medium-high heat, until cook through, making sure to break it up into smaller pieces.
2. Drain the fat from the meat, and return the meat back to the skillet.
3. Add the taco seasoning, and follow the package instructions to correctly prepare the meat.
4. Prepare all of the vegetables, making sure to wash them. Rinse the beans Make sure to add the lettuce, tomatoes, celery, carrots, and cheese.
5. If you're not eating the salad right away prepare the vegetables for the salad in a large bowl, and the beef and beans in a separate bowl simply mix them as needed.
6. Crush the Doritos in the bag, or simply crush as much as you need as you need it.
7. If you are eating the salad right away, simply mix all the ingredients including the salad dressing, and enjoy. Preparing the salad right away and using the thick dressing helps to hide any sneaky vegetables that have made their way to your child or husbands plate.