- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- East Asian Cuisine
Tamagoyaki - Japanese Egg Roll
Hello dear readers.
Tamagoyakiis a great idea for breakfast if you are getting bored with the usual egg dishes. The a traditional Japanese egg roll which is very tasty, easy to make and last but not least visually very interesting. Do'nt be disappointed when you don't have a perfect result on the first time you try it, keep on practicing and I'm sure at some point it will be a full success.
- 6 Eggs
- Soy Sauce
- Brown Sugar
- Vegetable Oil
- At first you need to break the eggs and put the inside into a mid size bowl.
- Beat the eggs gently so you don't have too many bubbles on the top, but have them stirred well so the egg yolk and the egg white mix are mixed well.
- Add a little of the brown sugar and stier gently till the sugar melts into the egg mixture.
- Add a little of the soy sauce and some salt (depending on your taste). Gently stir, remember you don't want to have bubble in your mixture.
- Add the mirin and sake. Stir again and your egg basis is ready.
- Take a square shaped pan as it is the best one to make a good tamagoyaki. Let it get hot.
- Put some of the vegetable oil on the pan and using a paper towel get rid of the extra oil as you want only to have a thin layer on the pan.
- Pour 1/4 of the egg mixture on the hot oiled pan. Move the pan so the mixture covers all of the pan. When you see the egg getting cooked but the surface is still a bit moist start to roll. I always use chopsticks, but until you get used to them you can roll also using some regular kitchen accessories. Gently roll the egg and then move the roll to one side of the pan.
- Add the next 1/4 of the mixture and gently lift the roll on the pan so the mixture gets under it as well. Again when the egg start to be cooked but still a bit liquid on the top start to roll.
- Repeat this process until you have used all of the mixture.
- Take a bamboo sushi rolling mat. and put the still hot tamagoyaki on it, roll it and form a square shape. Let it rest this way for a couple of minutes.
- Then you can serve.
The tamagoyaki is best served with pickled cucumbers or fresh vegetables. It is also used as sushi topping. The best way to serve it is to cut it into 0,5cm thin pieces so the beautiful roll texture is visible. As a dip soy sauce with some wasabi is just great. Of course there are many variations. One of the most used is the spinach tamagoyaki where you put some cooked spinach into the middle before you start rolling. See this recipe next time.