- Prep time: 10 min
- Cook time: 1 hour 15 min
- Ready in: 1 hour 25 min
- Yields: Serves 5
I have the honor of presenting you an amazing and easy French dish with cheese and potatoes. It is sure to be a great dish for any meal or party.
- 1kg Potatoes
- 500g Reblochon cheese
- 1 Onion
- 1 teaspoon Oil
- Start with peeling the potatoes and clean them. Get an appropriate sized bowl and fill it with cold water, the colder the better. You can add some ice cubes to make it colder. Dump the cleaned potatoes in to the bowl and let them rest there for about 30 minutes.
- As the potatoes are soaking, chop the onion about 0,5 cm should be just fine. Take a skillet pour inside about one teaspoon of oil and add the chopped onion. Keep stirring until the onions get a light brown color. If you never have done this it is mor simple than you believe: the onion will first get a glassy appearance then gradually will reach a nice brown color first on the margins then the hole peace. Once they are done, take it off the heat * the french usually stir in with the onion some bacon, as I am not eating pork, I used only the onion.
- Put the potatoes in to a pot and cover the. With water, let them boil until the fork can penetrate the potato , without getting cooked through. Otherwise after you put them in the oven, they will transform in to mashed potatoes.
- Now let's look a bit at the cheese, I used the Reblochon cheese, it is the traditional type for this dish. The cheese is precut to ease the process. The french usually arrange the slices only on top to create a nice crust, but usually the temptation is to eat the crust and leave the rest, to prevent this I recommend cutting the big slices in 4 to 6 smaller slices.
- Once the potatoes are cool, fish them out of the pot and chop them in cubes, the Tartiflette I ate in France had small 1 cm potato cubes, but I prefer chopping them in bigger cubes or slices, makes it easier to serve.
- Get a heat proof dish and layer half of the amount of potatoes cubes, onion and cheese then repeat the operation for the second layer.
- Preheat the oven at 180*C and stick the dish inside, it will take about 45 to 60 minutes, or until the cheese gets bubbly and starts roasting. Another way to decide it the dish is done, stick a fork in to the potatoes from the dish and check their softness.
Once it is done, let it cool for about 15 minutes and enjoy!