- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- South Asian Cuisine
How to make Coconut Chutney South Indian Chennai Style Recipe
Rate here !
Coconut Chutney - Introduction
I am discussing here how to make coconut chutney in simple form. There could have been different hubs talking about making coconut chutney. However this is very simple straight forward way of making Coconut chutney in a South Indian Madras style of making coconut chutney.
I have considered the ingredients to make the good looking & tasty coconut chutney only for 2 people.
- 1 tea spoon oil
- ½ tea spoon mustard seeds
- 2 red chilies(cut in to pieces)
- Curry leaves(5 to 6 leaves)
- ½ tea spoon Channa Dhal
- 1 cup or 100gms Coconut, Grated
- 2 small Green Chillies, Chopped
- 50 gms Roasted Gram
- 1 tea spoon Ginger, Grated
- Pinch of tamarind, (used as preservative)
- 1/2 tea spoon Salt
Step by step guide to make Coconut chutney
- Chutney without Tempering: Add coconut, roasted gram, green chilies, grated ginger, salt with a little water and grind it in a mixie to make a fine paste. Keep the paste aside in a vessel/container. This paste is also called chutney without tempering
- Chutney with Tempering: Heat the oil, add the mustard seeds, red chilies, Curry leaves and stir till the mustard seeds crackle and prepare the tempering. Pour tempering over the chutney and mix well. Now this is a complete coconut chutney.
- Coconut chutney can be best served along with all Dosa varieties and all Idly varieties. Also it could be served along with Tasty Tomato Rice, Poori & Chappathi
- If Coconut chutney is too thick, you could add very little water to it to make it diluted chutney.
- Salt could be added to your diluted chutney (if required).