- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
How to make tasty Spinach or Palak Biriyani South Indian Tamilnadu Style Recipe
Dear Hub Readers,
This hub teaches you how to make or cook Spinach Biriyani or Palak Biriyani South Indian Tamilnadu style recipe. Purpose to create this hub is to give a healthy recipe to my hub readers. Spinach in general, used as side dish. However I have used Spinach to cook a main dish. Enjoy the tasty Spinach Biriyani by cooking yourself.
Palak or Spinach contains following health benefits:
1) Anti-Inflammatory benefits
2) Acts as good antioxidant
3) Vitamin K in it strengthens your bones
4) Anti-cancer benefits
5) Good source of Vitamin A & C
Tasty Spinach Biriyani
Overall cooking time
- 2 cups Basmati Rice/ Soonamasuri Rice
- 250 grams Spinach, chopped
- 1 Big Onion, chopped
- 1/4 table spoon Cashew Nuts
- 3 to 4 Red chillies
- 1 table spoon Cooking Oil
- 1 tea spoon Ginger-Garlic Paste
- 2 Cloves
- 2 Cardamoms
- 2 Cinnamon Sticks
- 1 cup Coconut Milk
- 2 teaspoon Salt, adjust to your taste needs
- 6 Mint Leaves
- 3 cups Water, use the same cup used for measuring rice
- In a vessel pour little water, the chopped spinach and allow them to boil.
- When the spinach is cooked remove the spinach from water and grind them separately.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Put biriyani ingredients (cloves, cardamoms, cinnamon sticks) and fry them.
- Add the chopped onions in the oil and fry the onions to become golden brown. Fry the onions well so that they will give you a sweet taste. Also add the cashew nuts and fry till they become golden brown.
- Add Ginger-garlic paste. Continue frying till the raw flavor of ginger and garlic goes.
- Mint leaves can be added to your biriyani for a good aroma and taste.
- Put the previously soaked and drained rice inside the cooker and continue stirring for 2-3 minute.
- Put the grind spinach inside the cooker and stir along with them.
- Add 1 cup of coconut milk and 3 cups of water inside and add the salt.
- Close the cooker lid and allow the cooker to whistle thrice for the Biriyani to get cooked.
- You can garnish the Biriyani with chopped carrots and can be served along with curd.
Spinach in the vessel with water
Vessel with Boiled Spinach
Spinach filtered from water
Grind the Spinach
Biriyani ingredients getting fried in Oil
Chopped onions and cashew nuts getting fried with ingredients
Deep fried onions and cashew nuts along with Ginger Garlic paste
Drained rice getting stirred in cooker with fried ingredients
Spinach mixed with rice
Spinach and Rice with water
© 2013 Ravi and Swastha