- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
Easy Recipe for Tasty Kottu
Kottu- Sri Lankas Favorite Street Food
Sri Lankans love spicy food. If you have come to Sri Lanka you would have noticed achcharu sellers on the roadside. Achcharu is fruits mixed in spices. (chili,pepper,salt and vinegar) Achchari can be made using a single fruit or many kinds of fruits together. Mmmm… just writing about this makes my mouth water. In Sri Lanka EVERYONE loves to eat this. You will be able to see children huddled together under trees or in someone backyard, eating achcharu that they had made. If you ever become one of the fortunate ones to pay a visit to Sri Lanka don’t miss this out.
Walking at night, even on the busiest roads in Sri Lanka, your ears will pick up the sound of (or I would like to say) the melody of metal hitting metal in a continuous rhythm. This sound makes me drool; this is the food lover’s music. This is the music of kottu being made.
Kottu is simply delicious and it’s simple to make. It is chopping up rotti with spices, vegetables and meat. You can choose a variety that you like but believe me, to taste kottu from a kiosk is a feast to your taste buds.
The best I have had is from a restaurent called Pillawoos. You should order the 'masala cheese kottu' that will surely drive you crazy.
Try making your own version at home
This variation is called 'Dolphin'
- 20 Gothambu rotti (wheat roti)
- (Rolled and cut into 1 inch width strips)
- 750 g Beef cut into thick strips
- 5 tbsp. Oil
- 1 tsp. Ginger and garlic paste
- ½ tsp. cumin powder
- 1 tsp. coriander powder
- ½ tsp. pepper powder
- 1 tsp. garam masala
- 3 tbsp. Chili flakes
- 1 tsp. Chili powder
- Salt to taste
- 10-15 Curry leaves
- 100 ml Fresh Milk [optional]
- 4 Eggs
- 4 Tomato cut into wedges
- 3 Onions cut into thick rounds
- 2 Capsicum cut into slant strips
- 3 Green chili cut into slant strips
- 1 cup processed cheese
- Boil the beef with little water (1/2 tea cup).
- When it is half-boiled, add oil, ginger & garlic paste, chili flakes, chili powder, salt and curry leaves.
- After the beef is cooked at ¼ cup water if it’s dry and add the cumin, garam masala, coriander powder and pepper powder.
- Then add the gothambu rotti.
- Turn it on the wok, make space in the middle of the rotti and add the eggs.
- Let it cook for a minute and mix it.
- Then add the milk.
- Add the rest of the vegetables and mix it only once and spread it on the baking tray.
- Spread cheese on top and bake it till the top turns golden brown.
- Serve hot.