Tejas: Peruvian delicacies from Ica
Delicacies from Ica
Inspired by the Stillwater
Workshops in Kuranda and their
kiss wrapped sweets, I searched on the Internet for the word Tejas and was surprised to find that
there was Tejas del Solar, a site
run by Carmen Almenara, a Peruvian
who now lives in Australia and who seems to have taken tejas to a different
Besides being the Spanish name for the American state of Texas, the Peruvian Tejas, are a traditional sweet, which we used to eat at home when I was a child. They are a delicious combination of caramelised orange filled with manjar blanco (blancmange, or dulce de leche), a rich type of caramel, and then coated with fondant. As a child I found that just as nice were the tejas filled with a pecan nut!
On her website Carmen mentions that seeing the reaction on people's faces when they try a teja for the first time is the most rewarding experience of all! She says that her recipes have evolved as result of the combination of her heritage and the blending of natural ingredients from her home country Peru and Australia.
Her delicacies are prepared by hand in small batches, which guarantees the uniqueness of each piece. They are also covered with the finest Belgian Callebaut chocolate and they come in many different varieties, like:
Tejas gift boxes with woven ribbon from Peru
Tejas del Solar flavors
- Aussie - Macadamia nuts and lemon myrtle
- Passion tejas - Australian passion fruit and roasted pecans
- Original tejas - Roasted pecans
- Coco tejas - Moist coconut centre
- Orange tejas - Caramelised oranges
- Ginger tejaS - Caramelised ginger
- Café tejas - Infused with chocolate coffee beans from Guatemala
- Turrón tejas - Enhanced with nougat
- Chilli-choc tejas - Australian pecan nuts, spiced with chili and cinnamon
Tejas del Solar come in specially-made gift boxes of 6, 12, or 90 pieces. Each box is hand-tied with a Peruvian woven ribbon and they are the perfect gift to celebrate special occasions, or simply to enjoy over a cup of coffee.
In July 2010 I came across Helena Chocolatier, a company that makes Tejas and Choco Tejas in Ica, a city in southern Peru. To the right is a video about the production process by the Discovery Channel in association with Gourmet Magazine. Below is also a gift box of 12 packs of tejas.
- Chocolate Peruvian Tejas - Chocolate Pecan Dulce de Leche Candy - Recipe for Tejas
Tejas are a famous candy from the Ica region of Peru.
- HELENA Chocotejas, Tejas and Chocolates from Peru
Perfect combination of Dulce de Leche Caramel, candied fruits or roasted nuts covered in gourmet chocolate or creamy fondant.
- LA TEJA. Dulce peruano de tradicin transformado en una delicia llamada CHOCOTEJA. Cocineros Impu
- Peruvian Sweets: King Kong, Tejas, etc. on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
sweets from northern Peru: King Kong, turron, alfajores, manjar blanco, tejas, etc.
- Recipe Blitz: Peruvian Tejas - Chocolate Dulce de Leche Candy