Tempting Breaded Escargots with Lemon Garlic Dip
This is a simple and amazingly unique appetizer idea. Escargots are an interesting dish when not breaded, but not everyone appreciates how they look. This is a recipe that allows you to serve your guests something different and upscale, without the concern of whether or not the appearance will put them off from trying some.
Note that canned escargots are recommended, this as they are already cleaned and prepared. Believe me when I say that not too many would believe fresh escargots to be worth the grief and hassle of preparation.
A Batch Is...
To simplify writing up the recipe, a batch refers to sixteen breaded escargots.
- 6-8 cleaned and prepared escargots (canned are recommended), per person.
- One raw egg.
- 1 1/2 ounces of milk.
- 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs.
- Enough flour to dredge all escargots.
- Optional - 1 ounce of finely chopped almonds.
- 1/2 cup of tartar sauce, per batch.
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder, per 1/2 cup of sauce.
- 1 teaspoon of real lemon juice, per 1/2 cup of sauce.
- Before working on the escargots, estimate how much sauce you will need based upon how many pieces you intend to prepare. Mix the tartar sauce, lemon juice and garlic powder together thoroughly. Place in the refrigerator.
- Take the canned escargots and put them in a strainer, rinse thoroughly. Remove from the strainer.
- Once the bulk of the water has dripped off from the escargots, dredge them thoroughly in flour.
- Break the egg into a bowl and add the milk. Whisk them together.
- One at a time, roll the dredged escargots in the egg and milk mixture. The first escargot must then be rolled in breadcrumbs as described in the next step before dipping successive pieces in the egg/milk mixture.
- If you wish you can replace some of the breadcrumbs with an equal amount of finely chopped almonds. Roll each escargot in the egg/milk mixture, then the breadcrumbs. Repeat one at a time with all escargots.
- Preheat a wok or deep fryer with deep oil to a temperature appropriate for deep frying.
- Carefully add the breaded escargots into the heated oil and fry until deep brown.
- Drain the excess oil from the escargots by sitting them on paper towel.
- They are now ready to serve with the Lemon Garlic Dipping Sauce you have in the fridge.