- Food and Cooking»
- Cooking Ingredients»
- Fruit Ingredients
Tequila Soaked Watermelon
As human beings, the majority of us like to eat fruit. Fruits such as pineapples, apples, grapes, oranges, kiwi, strawberries, bananas, and especially watermelon. I've figured out a way to add a little flavor to that watermelon that your use to. Here below is a quick and easy way that requires a bit of cooking to turn your watermelon into something more than just nutritous fruit that benefits the body.
- 1 small watermelon, quartered, 1 in thick wedges
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup tequila
- 1/4 cup Triple Sec
- 2 limes, wedges
- Sea or Coarse Salt
- Arrange watermelon into two 9 x 13 in. baking dishes.
- Bring sugar, water, and Triple Sec to a boil into a saucepan. Cook and stir until the sugar dissolves, about a minute. After this mixture cools add the tequila if you want more alcohol in the watermelon, if not then add the tequila while you were boiling the sugar, water, and Triple Sec. I say this because alcohol tends to dissolve more, when you add heat to it, losing the alcohol taste.
- After this mixture has cooled, pour the syrup mixture over the watermelon wedges.
- Then refigerate for at least 45 minutes.
- Remove wedges from the syrup and put onto a platter.
- Squeeze lime over the melon and season with salt.
AN EXTRA TIP!
Here is another way to make this delicious watermelon into something more. The first step is to cut the watermelon into cube shaped sizes instead of wedges and to take off the rind completely. After you do the mixture above and it has cooled, you can add a 1/4 cup of fresh lime juice. Then soak the watermelon for an hour instead of 45 mins. After this step, you put popsicle sticks into the watermelon and put it into the freezer for an hour. Then take it out and enjoy!