- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Teriyaki Flank Steak
Flank Steak or Flatiron?
Flank steak used to be a cut commonly found in the supermarket, and it was considered one of the "cheap" cuts. With the explosion of Tex-Mex places serving Fajitas, this cut of meat is now rarely found in the market, at least in my part of the country. This steak can be made with a cheaper alternative that many supermarkets call a flatiron steak. In the UK, it may be known as Butler's steak or oyster blade steak in Australia.
One trait of these steaks is a lot of marbling which makes for good flavor, and they are cut with the grain which makes them tender.
Figure 2 steaks will feed 4. Increase steaks to feed more people.
- 2 flank steak or flatiron steak
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 tsp ginger
- 4-6 pineapple slices
- 1/4 cup soy sauce, I like Kikkoman low sodium
- 1/4 cups teriyaki sauce, I use Kikkoman
- 1 clove garlic,, diced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Combine all ingredients except steaks and pineapple to make marinade. Mix well and pour over steaks. Marinate 1 - 1 1/2 hours.
- Cook steaks in large skillet and brush with rest of marinade while cooking. Brown, and add pineapple during last few minutes.