- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- Southeast Asian Cuisine
Thai Inspired Ginger Cabbage Mushroom Soup With Scallion and Cilantro Garnish
How Did You Like It?
My recent food obsession is Thai Food.
It is expensive to go out for it all the time, however.
Consequently, learning to make some dishes at home to sort of "quench the thirst" is really worth the effort.
The challenge is using household common "er" items to make a killer Thai inspired dish.
I whipped up this dish today to try to capture a healthier version of Tom Kah Gai soup or in English Terms, the Coconut Chicken Soup. You will notice that is is sans Coconut in the mainstream recipe, although using Coconut milk is optional.
This soup without the Coconut soup is about 100 calories per four cup pot, which is a dieter's dream. If you use the So Delicious Coconut milk that is only 45 calories a cup, you make this bad boy only about 200 calories per pot.
I highly recommend using fresh ginger because it makes the whole soup just pop in your mouth.
I hope you enjoy! Please rate us if you try the recipe!
- 4 Cups Chicken Stock, from bullion, a can. or legit homeade (must add salt if homemade)
- 10 White Mushroom, Halved
- 1/4 head Cabbage, Slicced and chopped to about 1 inch chunks
- 2-3 Tablespoons Gratted Fresh Ginger, Could substitute ground ginger if needed - look up equivallents
- 1tsp Red Pepper Flakes, Add more for more spice or use Tabasco to season as desired when soup is finished
- 1-2 Green Onions (Scallions), With knife split stalk down the middle and then chop, set aside for garnish
- 1 Handful Cilantro, Roughly chopped, set aside for garnish
- *Optional Cocount Milk, Either from a can or carton (like SO Delicious brand)
- *Optional Tabasco, Used to season the soup to personal tastes after serving to add extra heat
- 1 can Water Chesnuts, coarsely chopped to add texture to the soup
- 2 Tablespoons Cornstarch, Mix with cold water in a separate container
Putting it Together
- Combine everything except Green Onions, Cilantro, and cornstarch together in one pot, bring to a boil, and let cook for about 15 minutes. Add in cornstarch until you get a desired thickness, cook for a few more minutes to reach desired consistency.
- After 15 minutes, remove from heat, pour into bowels and top bowels with equal portions cilantro and green onions. Add Tabasco to taste for added heat.
- If you want to add Coconut Milk, you should do so at the end of step 1, bring back to a boil and then serve. If adding coconut milk, I highly recommend increasing the spiciness of the dish with added Tabasco at the end or by adding additional dried red peppers from the beginning.
Thai Ingrediates via Amazon
|Serving size: 1 Cup|
|Calories from Fat||0|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 0 g|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 5 g||2%|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 1 g||2%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|