- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- Southeast Asian Cuisine
Thai Stir Fried Peppered White Fish Recipe
Here’s an easy Thai fish dish for the black pepper lovers of the world. This easy recipe, which can be made in about 5 minutes flat, is great eating, especially when served with a little steamed rice and a plat of cold raw vegetables alongside.
Make sure to use freshly and coarsely cracked pepper for this recipe – finely and long ago ground pepper won’t give you the right taste for this one. If you can’t crack pepper coarsely with your pepper grinder, you can use a mortar and pestle – or you can even put your peppercorns in a bag and then after closing that bag use a rolling pin or cast iron skillet to whack those peppercorns into submission on your counter!
In Thailand, this would typically be made with sea bass, but you can substitute any similar tasting ocean fish as desired.
Stir Fried White Fish with Garlic and Black Pepper
This recipe makes enough for about 4 people, when served with rice and vegetables.
- 1 lb of sea bass fillet, snapper or other firm, mild and sweet ocean white fish, cut into 1 inch strips
- 10 cloves of garlic, smashed flat with the side of a knife, but not chopped
- 2 ½ tsps of coarsely ground black pepper (if you only have finely ground pepper, reduce the amount you use)
- 1 ½ Tbls of fish sauce
- 1 ½ Tbls of soy sauce
- 1 ½ Tbls of oyster sauce
- 1 ½ tsps of sugar
- ½ tsp of MSG
- 3 Tbls of oil for frying
Stir Frying Instructions
- After cutting the fish, mix together the fish sauce, soy sauce, oyster sauce, MSG and sugar and then rub the fish pieces all over in this mixture to marinate. Marinate for about 10 minutes on the counter.
- Heat up your oil over medium heat in a heavy skillet or a wok. When hot, add in your garlic cloves and fry, stirring, for about 30 seconds, or until they are fragrant and starting to turn golden.
- Immediately thereafter, add the pepper to the oil and stir it to mix it evenly, and then slide in your fish slices. Cook the fish, stir frying, but gently, so as not to break the fish pieces and cook for about 2-3 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Serve with steamed jasmine rice and with fresh vegetables on the side for garnish and contrast. Vegetable options can include sliced cucumbers, fresh cilantro sprigs, lettuce and white cabbage.
Vegetables on the Side
- How to Make Larb Moo. Spicy Thai Ground Pork Salad
A great quick and easy Isaan Larb recipe. Thailand's famous spicy pork salad.
- How to Make Thai Stir Fried Pork with Ginger and Chi...
Here's a very quick and easy stir fried Thai recipe. You can make this in about 10 minutes, and it is quite authentic. For ginger lovers only!
- How to Make Thai Chicken with Cashew Nuts. An Easy a...
My mom loves Thai chicken with cashew nuts, and when she comes for her winter visits she probably eats it almost daily. It's just that good! And one great thing about this particular dish is that unlike many...
- Spicy Thai Tuna Salad. Yum Tuna is Such an Easy 10 M...
Thai style spicy tuna fish salad recipe. An easy 10 minute recipe for Thai Yum tuna. A great light lunch!