The 4 Most Common Ways to Cook Eggs
People say that they are more than 100 ways to cook eggs, and that only real chefs would know all the ways. Maybe it's true, but the great thing about eggs, is that you don't actually need to know so many recipes or ways to prepare them! Eggs taste so good, you can basically just fry them, boil them or bake them and you'll have a great meal ready in no time! You'll find here the most typical ways to cook eggs, and also the name of each cooking type. This will also really help you if you ever go to brunch with some friends while visiting the States !!
To fry eggs, you basically only need a frying pan and a bit of olive oil.There are 5 very common ways to fry eggs, depending actually on how cooked you want them:
- Sunny side up (or eggs up): you cook the eggs only on one side. The top side that contains the yolk usually stays a bit runny.
- Basted: it's almost the same as the sunny side up, but in this case, you will gently splash the side of the yolk with hot cooking oil.
- Steam-basted: it's pretty much the same as basted, but with water instead of oil.
- Over-easy (or runny):you cook the eggs on one side and then flip them over a to cook them for a few seconds on the other side.
- Over-medium: it's the same as the over-easy but a bit more cooked. The egg whites must now be thoroughly cooked and the yolks still a bit runny.
- Over-hard (or over well): in this case, both sides have to be well cooked.
To cook scrambled eggs, it's easier to first put them in a bowl and mix them well, adding some salt and pepper, spices and maybe a bit of milk. You then fry them on a cooking pan, but stir them constantly while they cook. The eggs will form curds while they coagulate.
You can also create some variants by adding vegetables like mushrooms or zucchinis.
Boil eggs is my favorite way of cooking them! You have 2 options: hard-boiled or soft-boiled. Both ways concern eggs with their shell.
- Hard-boiled eggs are plunged in boiling water for about 15 min and will have a fully hard consistency.
- Soft-boiled eggs are boiled for about 3 min and have a runny yolk.
Another way to boil eggs is the poached eggs version, which is done by immersing eggs without the shell in hot boiling water.
Omelettes are a bit a mix between fried, baked and scrambled eggs. They are quite easy to prepare, and you only need to mix the eggs (use one per person) in a bowl like for the scrambled eggs, with salt and pepper, spices and a bit of cream or milk.
Cook the omelette on one side only in a frying pan with olive oil, and add cheese, vegetables or meat to your taste, until it becomes fluffy. Don't flip them, but eventually fold them in two.