The BEST Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
How'd you like it?
The cook time for this dish depends on whether you use a microwave or an oven to prepare the sweet potatoes.
Oven: 1 1/2 hours
Microwave: 40 minutes
Serves 4-5 people
- 5 Sweet Potatoes, Unpeeled
- 1/4 Cup Butter, Softened
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 Cup Milk
- 1/4 Cup White Sugar
- 3/4 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Cup Pecans, Optional
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Cup Cornflakes Cereal, Optional
- 1 1/4 Cups Miniature Marshmellows
For the Casserole and Topping
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and cook the potatoes for 1 hour to soften. (If you are on a time crunch then you can toss them in the microwave for about 10-12 minutes). Before cooking them, pierce them with a fork a few times.
- Allow them to cool and then peel. You could also cut in half and scoop out the "meat" if you have no way to peel.
- Set the oven to 350 degrees. Get the dish that you plan to serve with and coat it with non-stick cooking spray.
- Mash the potatoes a little and putt into a bowl. Then add softened butter, white sugar, milk, vanilla and egg.
- Mix together until blended. Electric mixers work well on low.
- Add mixture to the baking dish you prepared and move onto the topping.
- Get a small bowl and add the cornflakes. Crush them until they are fairly fine.
- Add the chopped pecans and brown sugar and mix together until evenly blended.
- Add a thin layer of topping all across the casserole.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes.
- Take out and add marshmallows to the top of the casserole and put back in the oven for about 5 minutes.