- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
The Best Easiest Baklava Recipe
Many countries claim Baklava as their own. Its considered national dessert in Turkey, Lebanon and in Syria. Around the world, its the most popular Mediterranean dessert.
Baklava is a cuisine from the Ottoman Empire. It's a rich pastry filled with nuts and sweetened with honey and sugar syrup.A very popular dessert and made on special occasions specially by Muslims on Ramadan and Eid-ul-Fitr.
Its mainly prepared in large pans with layers of phyllo dough. It comes in different shapes and one of them is long circle shape, the one I am going to show you.
Do you like Baklava
Making Square Baklava
I have tried square baklava recipes many time but I never got it correct. When someone try to pick a piece upper layers come off in hand. So if you have this problem then this recipe is perfect for you. As there is hardly anything which will go wrong.
- You need a long stick, could be silver, steel or wood stick. Anything which is not too thick will work fine.
- Any nuts can be used in this recipe, pistachio, walnuts and almonds or any other you like.
- Temperature of your oven should not be more than 180C and you need to keep an eye after 30 minutes so it won't burn.
- Baklava should be hot and syrup should be cold when you immerse them together.
- 6oz Almonds, finely chopped
- 4oz Walnuts, finely chopped
- 1oz Caster sugar
- 1tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- 1 cup Unsalted Butter
- 12 oz Phyllo Pastry
- 2 cup Sugar, For Syrup
- 2 cup Water, For Syrup
- 1 Cinnamon Stick, For Syrup
- 1 tsp. Lemon juice
- Combine almonds,walnut, sugar and cinnamon together.
- To make sugar syrup, combine 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water by adding cinnamon and lemon. Let it boil and simmer for 10 minutes.Keep it aside.
- Brush a 12 x 10 inch baking tray with butter.
- Lay the phyllo sheets and spread the melted butter on first sheet and then almond mixture. Roll it on wooden stick as shown in picture. Now butter the second sheet and spread some almond mixture on it. Roll this sheet on first sheet.
- Squeeze this rolled sheets with both hands, so it become removable. Repeat this procedure with remaining sheets untill all done.
- Butter all the sheets on top and bake in preheated oven at 160C for 40 minutes or untill its light golden in colour. Its better if you cut it at this point as I forgot to do it while baking mine.
- Remove from oven and slowly pour sugar syrup on it. Leave it for at least 2,3 hours or for a day if you can.
Calories in Baklava
In one piece of baklava there are:
- 334 Calories
- 22.64 g Fat
- 29.3 g Carbs
- 5.23 g Protein