- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
The Best Ever Asparagus Quiche
Man, I love my quiche! Spinach and bacon, sausage and mushroom, ham and broccoli, and especially bacon and asparagus! Quiche is a savory, open-faced pastry crust with a filling of savory custard with cheese, meat, fish or vegetables.
It also just so happens that this makes an amazingly impressive breakfast dish for large parties, like family, staying over at your house. Technically it serves 12, but with 12 over at our house this last week or so, everyone had more than one piece and was full in the end. This is definitely one of my more popular dishes.
If you haven't had the pleasure of trying quiche, there are so many wonderful varieties, and everyone puts different ingredients in them to truly make it their own. I highly suggest that you try one out for size yourself.
For another great breakfast dish that serves a large party and leaves happy, full guests, try out my French Toast Casserole!
- 1 pound asparagus
- 10 slices bacon
- 2 refrigerated pie crusts
- 1 large egg white
- 4 large whole eggs
- 1 1/2 cup half and half, (buttermilk works too)
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups Swiss cheese, (any cheese would work)
- pinch salt and pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Spray two large pie pans (or one quiche dish) generously with cooking spray.
- Rinse your asparagus spears, chop off the bottom 1 1/2 inches or so to throw away, chop them up into small pieces and steam them in a steamer basket on your stove for about 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, cook your bacon in a large saute pan on the stove. Cool after cooking, crumble, and set aside.
- Remove your pie shells from the refrigerator to thaw according to the package directions. Roll them out and place them in your pie dishes.
- Brush both pie crusts with your egg white.
- Sprinkle your crumbled bacon and steamed asparagus pieces evenly between your two pie crusts.
- Sprinkle your cheese evenly between the two pie crusts on top of your bacon and asparagus.
- On the side, whisk together your eggs, half and half, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Pour this mixture evenly over the top of mixtures in both pie dishes.
- Bake them both uncovered for about 45 minutes until golden brown.
- Yummy! Yummy! I love quiche.
|Serving size: 1/6 slice of a pie|
|Calories from Fat||234|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 26 g||40%|
|Carbohydrates 12 g||4%|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 12 g||24%|
|Cholesterol 114 mg||38%|
|Sodium 383 mg||16%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
If for some reason you're not one for bacon or asparagus, feel free to replace them with your own fun ingredients. Just about any meats, vegetables, and cheeses are appropriate.
Don't be afraid to mix and match either until you find a combination that truly suits you and your family. Quiche is not only great for breakfast, but it makes a great lunch, tea time treat, or even a nice hearty dinner.
Packed full of vitamins, nutrients, and yummy goodness, you can't go wrong with a hot quiche.