- Food and Cooking»
- Cooking Ingredients»
- Fruit Ingredients
The Best Ever Caramelized Tomato Bruschetta
Bruschetta is the perfect dish for a light snack or a healthy appetizer.
It's perfect for large groups and parties, easy to make, and light enough to keep guests coming back for more.
If all of the cooking is just too much for you, the traditional version is simply chopping everything up, mixing it together and topping all of your toast (or just slices of bread) with the cold mixture.
It's still good the traditional way, but ten times better with the roasted tomatoes and garlic, and the yummy caramelized onions. This is just taking an old classic and ramping it up!
- 2 tablespoons + 1 tablespoon olive oil, separated
- 2 large yellow onions
- 1 pint (15-20) cherry tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 loaf french bread
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- (optional) Ricotta cheese
- pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large cookie sheet with aluminum foil.
- Cut up your french bread into 1/2 inch slices.
- Place on your cookie sheet and toast for approximately 6-8 minutes. Flip over halfway through to get a light toast on both sides.
- Dice both of your yellow onions into the size that you prefer for your bruschetta. (I like mine really small.) However, remember that they will cook down and shrink during the cooking process.
- In a large skillet on the stove, heat up 2 tablespoons of your olive oil until steaming over medium heat.
- When oil is hot, add your diced onions with a pinch of salt. Cook until deeply browned and caramelized, for about 20 minutes.
- Your toast should be done by now. Transfer your toast pieces to a serving dish. We are going to re-use the cookie sheet.
- Turn the oven up to 400 degrees F.
- While toasting your bread and cooking your onions, chop up all of your cherry tomatoes into halves or quarters for roasting. Place in a medium bowl.
- Peel, chop, and then mince your clove of garlic. (You can also use 1 tablespoon of pre-minced garlic for each clove in your recipe.)
- Drizzle your tomatoes with your remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and add your minced garlic, and another pinch of salt.
- Toss ingredients together and spread out on your cookie sheet.
- Roast your cherry tomatoes and garlic at your preheated 400 degrees F for 15 minutes, or until golden brown and shriveled.
- Enjoy the smells wafting through your kitchen while everything is cooking! In the meantime, chop up your fresh basil leaves.
- When everything is done, remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Toss all ingredients together lightly and top all of your toast pieces with bruschetta.
- Sprinkle the top with Parmesan cheese and serve. Yummy!
|Serving size: 2 pieces of toast and 2 tablespoons of tomato|
|Calories from Fat||99|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 11 g||17%|
|Saturated fat 4 g||20%|
|Carbohydrates 22 g||7%|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 8 g||16%|
|Cholesterol 16 mg||5%|
|Sodium 321 mg||13%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
For an added bonus, spread ricotta cheese onto each piece of toast before topping with bruschetta for a creamy addition that will delight your tongue as it experiences the cold of the ricotta and the warm bruschetta mixture.
Take these to a party, serve them as appetizers at your own home, or make them as a yummy afternoon snack for yourself.
Regardless of when you choose to serve this delightful treat, you're guests and your taste-buds will thank you!