- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes»
- Beef Recipes
The Best Ever Crock Pot Taco Soup
This is actually more appropriately called "whatever I have in my pantry that would be good in a taco soup" soup. After writing up this recipe, I couldn't help but get one started for our dinner tonight.
It just sounded so good. I didn't have half of the ingredients so I threw in what we did have and improved with the rest of it. Funny enough, this is how I make a lot of my recipes.
Granted, I'm not just throwing in willy nilly. After cooking for so long, I know what would go well with the other tastes and what would destroy it altogether. So be careful just throwing in whatever. At the end of the recipe I'll give you some options and possibilities as well as some great substitutions for when you don't have all of the ingredients.
Yummy taco soup! Hamburger, beans, corn, and tomatoes. I usually eat mine with plenty of shredded cheese and chives on top, eaten atop one chip at a time. This way there's no real need to even have a spoon!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1 (16oz) can chili beans with liquid
- 1 (15oz) can kidney beans with liquid
- 1 (15oz) can whole kernel corn with liquid
- 1 (8oz) can tomato sauce
- 2 cups water
- 2 (14.5oz) cans peeled and diced tomatoes
- 1 (4oz) can diced green chili peppers
- 1 (1.25oz) package taco seasoning
- (Optional) 1 pkg. ranch dressing mix
- (Optional) 1 can black beans
- (Optional) 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- (Optional) 2 cups milk, instead of water
- (Optional) 1 bunch green onions
- Notice there's a lot of optional items. lol This is a recipe that can be altered in a number of ways and still come out the same. It's just personal preference. We'll address these at the end.
- Chop your yellow onion small and fine. Set aside for the moment.
- In a large skillet, cook your hamburger meat over medium-heat until completely cooked through. When finished, drain the fat and grease off before using.
- Pour your cooked hamburger meat into your crock pot, along with your chopped yellow onion.
- Then add your chili beans, kidney beans, and corn along with their liquid.
- Pour in your tomato sauce and 2 cans of peeled and diced tomatoes. Then add your water.
- Finally add your diced green chili peppers and your taco seasoning. Mix everything well.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or (if you don't have that much time) on high for 6 hours.
- Serve with sour cream, shredded cheese, chopped green onions, and tortilla chips.
- Optional: If you would prefer a cheesier taco soup you have several options. 1) Add 2 cups of milk and your cup of cheddar cheese instead of the water. 2) Make a cheese sauce separately (using the milk and cheese or a more formal sauce of flour butter milk and cheese) before adding it to the pot. 3) Add 1/2 of a large bar of Velveeta. This will make your taco soup creamy and cheesy instead of reddish translucent.
- Optional: For a different flavor, add in a packet of ranch dressing mix and/or a can of black beans.
- Substitutions: -No milk, add sour cream right into the crock pot.
- -No shredded cheese, add Velveeta, thinly sliced cheese of any kind, or even American cheese.
- -No beans, add rice, lentils, quinoa or even another whole grain (http://wholegrainscouncil.org/whole-grains-101/whole-grains-a-to-z) instead.
- -No hamburger, add turkey, bacon, ham, chicken, sausage, or any other kind of meat.
- -No canned corn, add corn cut directly off the cob (I had to do that tonight.).
- -No yellow onion, add any other color onion, shallots, leeks, or garlic.
- -No canned tomato products, add fresh tomatoes, or make your own tomato sauce with one of my recipes for homemade tomato paste or sauce.
|Serving size: 1 bowl or 1 1/2 cups|
|Calories from Fat||144|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 16 g||25%|
|Carbohydrates 38 g||13%|
|Fiber 9 g||36%|
|Protein 18 g||36%|
|Cholesterol 48 mg||16%|
|Sodium 1356 mg||57%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Yummy! Yummy! I don't think I ever have the exact ingredients for any recipe I want to cook. I've gotten extremely familiar with substituting some ingredients for others.
In fact, I substituted a lot in my taco soup tonight and boy does it smell incredible in the other room. I've been tempted to get a bowl of it early before my husband comes home, but I know it's not ready yet. lol
I hope you enjoy this recipe and I hope I helped you out at least a little bit.
I can't wait to dive into that taco soup tonight for dinner!
Which version of the recipe did you prefer?
- Easy Chicken Meals with the Crockpot: Fettucine Alfr...
This is an easy chicken dish that is well-balanced and delicious. Included are the benefits of having chicken in your diet.
- Crockpot Chicken Recipes | Slow Cooker Chicken
This page contains six tried and true recipes for chicken prepared in the slow cooker or crockpot. One recipe is a video demonstration.
- Easy Crockpot Chili Recipe
Chili is a great food to cook in a slow cooker. This crockpot chili recipe is easy to prepare and very versatile. It's a great meal to make on a cold winter day, for a pot luck, or Superbowl party.
- Chicken Crockpot Taco Bowls
We dumped the thawed chicken, our tomatoes chopped into small pieces, our black beans, corn, salsa, garlic, and all of our seasonings into her large crock pot and set it for high.
© 2013 Victoria Van Ness