- Food and Cooking»
- Culinary Arts & Cooking Techniques
The Best Ever Crunchy Baked Fish Tacos
Fish tacos are one of the most unique, interesting, and delicious simple meals. Fish tacos done correctly taste fresh, light, and refreshing.
This is one of those meals where you can mix up your toppings every day and find new tastes and ways to serve this dish. These could easily be a great appetizer for serving at parties, a nice lunch or quick afternoon snack on any day, or a full blown main dish for your family. It all depends on what you serve it with and how you display it.
One of the best ways I serve this delectable treat to my family is to provide it buffet style and let everyone make their own tacos. With so many mouths to feed when my family comes to visit, and so many different tastes, everyone gets to enjoy the meal to the fullest when they get to make their own choices.
As I always say, feel free to add and take away and truly make this dish your own!
- 1 lb cod filets
- 1 (12oz) package corn tortillas
- 1/2 medium head of green cabbage
- 1 bunch cilantro
- (Optional) 1 medium tomato
- (Optional) 1 bunch green onions
- (Optional) 1 medium red onion
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup ginger ale
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 large lime
- 1 large jalapeno
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. Cover a large cookie sheet in aluminum foil and spray generously with cooking spray.
- You'll want to begin this recipe by making your batter.
- In a large bowl combine your flour, cornstarch, baking powder, salt, and personally, I would also dust a couple of tablespoons of Parmesan cheese in there. Set aside for later.
- In a separate medium bowl, blend your egg and your cup of ginger ale. Set aside for later.
- Now for your white sauce. You'll need another medium bowl for this.
- Mix your yogurt and the juice from one lime until your mixture is slightly runny.
- Mince your jalapeno pepper into really small pieces. Add this to your yogurt mixture.
- Then add your spices (oregano, cumin, dill weed, and cayenne) and mix well. Set this aside for later.
- Now for your cod. Cut your cod filets into small taco-sized portions (about 2-3 ounces).
- Now is the time to bring out your egg and flour mixtures.
- You know the drill. Dip each of your fish pieces in your egg mixture and then in your flour mixture. You may need to do this twice.
- Lay each of your fish pieces out on your cookie sheet. Bake them for about 15 minutes in the oven until they are light brown and crunchy.
- While these are baking, you may want to lightly fry your corn tortillas in butter in a large skillet. They will need to be cooked in order to eat them. :)
- You can also chop any or all of your optional ingredients. Chop up your cabbage, cilantro, tomato, green onions, and red onion. Everyone has different ingredients they couldn't do without!
- When everything is ready, you can either let people create their own tacos, or you can make them yourself.
- If you're making them, lay out your corn tortillas, place one or two pieces of fish into each one. Layer with cabbage, tomatoes, cilantro, green, red onion.
- Then pour a little bit of your white sauce onto each taco.
- Yummy! Yummy! Enjoy your hard won creation!
|Serving size: 2 tacos|
|Calories from Fat||171|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 19 g||29%|
|Carbohydrates 43 g||14%|
|Fiber 5 g||20%|
|Protein 17 g||34%|
|Cholesterol 58 mg||19%|
|Sodium 407 mg||17%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Cod is labeled as one of the World's Healthiest Foods. "Besides being an excellent low-calorie source of protein (a four-ounce serving of cod contains over 21 grams), cod contains a variety of very important nutrients and has also been shown to be useful in a number of different health conditions" (whfoods.com).
Not only are these simply delicious, fish, especially cod, is great for your heart and can be a major source of energy for your body. Paired with yummy veggies, they are the perfect meal to share with your family.
I'm making these for my family this week when they come into town to visit. These are different, unusual, fresh, and delicious. Not many people have truly tasted a good fish taco, and I love how easy these are to make. I know they'll love them!
On the side, you can serve a good number of options. Rice is great with fish tacos, and so is coleslaw. You'll want to check out my recipe for Purple Apple Slaw that I will be serving on the side with my fish tacos!
I'll also be posting tons more great seafood recipes. Just keep checking me out!
How did you like this recipe?
- The Best Ever Avocado Chicken Tacos
This recipe was a great way to do just that with our favorite fruit AVOCADOS! Chicken, cherry tomatoes, and avocados all wrapped up in a tortilla. Perfect! And also delicious!
- How To Make Fry Bread, Wojapi, and Indian Tacos
These traditional Native American foods make wonderful hearty meals and snacks for you family! Indian tacos also make great fund-raisers!
- How to Make Shrimp Tacos: My Own Tex-Mex Recipe
An easy recipe for Tex-Mex shrimp tacos made with caramelized onions, pepperjack cheese and soft corn tortillas.
- How to Make Tacos for a Taco Bar Party
Everything you need to know about creating a festive and authentic Mexican taco bar for your next gathering. This article includes all the recipes you need!
© 2013 Victoria Van Ness