The Best Ever Homemade Ranch Dressing
I can totally say "Best Ever" on this one without bragging! For Christmas vacation this last year, my husband and I went to Colorado to spend the holidays with his family. He has 13 brothers and sisters and about half of them are married with children, so you can imagine how crowded it gets at their house.
My wonderful mother-in-law home-schooled every one of her children and still has 2 at home. She's had to work hard over the years to make scrumptious dishes without breaking the back (9 of those children were boys). She has been generously sharing some of the best recipes with me that we have made part of our regular menu
One of those wonderful items was this recipe for Ranch Dressing. My husband is obsessed. If he can put Ranch on it, he will, regardless of what it is. We were spending a good chunk of our grocery budget on buying huge bottles of ranch every month. My mother-in-law brought it to my attention this last Christmas that the store bought ranch dressing is just chocked full of chemicals and preservatives.
With her homemade recipe, not only did the ranch dressing taste better, but I knew for a fact that it was healthy for us, because I made it myself from all natural ingredients. You'd be really surprised at how easy it really is. Try it yourself and let me know what you think.
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- Add all ingredients into a medium mixing bowl and mix well.
- Pour into desired container for use. I purchased a clear reusable drink container with a pop top for drinking. It fits in our refrigerator well and allows us to pour just what we want onto our meals, keeping the rest of it fresh in the meantime.
- TIP: For dry ranch mix, nix the mayo and add 1/2 cup of dry buttermilk in place of the 2 cups of buttermilk. You can keep it stored in plastic sandwich bags until you are ready to use it, then just mix with a small tub of sour cream. Voila!
- Yummy! Yummy! You are going to love this dressing!
|Serving size: 1 tablespoon|
|Calories from Fat||18|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 2 g||3%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Unsaturated fat 2 g|
|Carbohydrates 1 g|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 0 g|
|Protein 0 g|
|Cholesterol 2 mg||1%|
|Sodium 56 mg||2%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Tasting this ranch dressing, you'd never know that it was homemade. It's obvious that it's not Hidden Valley, but it's tons better because you can taste the fresh herbs, the buttermilk and the fresh ingredients.
Even better, there are no crazy chemicals, preservatives or anything else required to keep ranch dressing fresh in those bottles at the grocery store for so long. If you like ranch dressing like we do, you'll go through it every few days and can simply whip up some more.
For a twist, dry powdered buttermilk actually has half the calories of regular buttermilk. Then you could simply substitute the missing liquid with Greek yogurt for a super creamy yummy taste, and added protein! Yummy! I'm going to go have some now!