- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
The Best Ever Slow Cooker Pot Roast recipe
The very first time I had this pot roast was when I first met my husband. I had prepared this big night where I was going to cook my mom's famous pot roast for him and it bombed.
It was dry and the veggies weren't cooked all the way through. I was so embarrassed. So he said the next night he would cook his pot roast for me. Boy was it amazing! No veggies, but we were able to make our own on the side. It kind of allows for a little more creativity.
We have never made my traditional pot roast ever again! lol He said that this recipe, like so many of his others, we just a trial and error creation. In fact, I think it's even changed a little bit since we've been together.
Since we moved to Arizona and began a lot more grilling, we discovered the Roasted Garlic & Herb Grill Mates seasoning. Yummy! Yummy!
This recipe is definitely different, and very nontraditional, but it's one we make at our house again and again!
- 1 medium roast
- 2 cans cream of mushroom, OR cream of chicken
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Roasted Garlic & Herb Grill Mates seasoning
- Your roast should be completely thawed before putting it into your crock pot. You will also want to match up the size of the roast and the size of your crock pot. If you only have a small crock pot, it stands to reason that you will want to grab a small roast. If you have a large crock pot, don't try to squeeze your large roast into the small one. lol
- If your roast has not yet been thawed, you will want to thaw it in your refrigerator for at least 24-48 hours. You can also submerge it in room temperature water in your sink for the day until it thaws completely.
- You will want to start your pot roast early in the morning on a high temperature.
- Pour in both cans of cream of mushroom soup (or cream of chicken, your choice), 2 cups of brown sugar (yes, that's right), and your 2 tablespoons of garlic seasoning.
- Put the cover on your crock pot (and put a towel underneath it, you'll thank me later), and leave it cooking for about 12 hours. No veggies this time.
- During the cooking process (or when you get home if you don't have the luxury of working from home), pull apart the meat in the crock pot so it will break up.
- When it's done, it's soft and flavorful. We usually have to serve it with tongs.
- It goes great with anything and everything! Consider mashed potatoes and a green veggie for sides.
|Serving size: 1 cup|
|Calories from Fat||180|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 20 g||31%|
|Carbohydrates 18 g||6%|
|Protein 26 g||52%|
|Cholesterol 74 mg||25%|
|Sodium 1200 mg||50%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
We have a round of meal that are our favorites that we make when we have guests over, and a much longer list that we make for ourselves. lol
I also get to smell cooking pot roast all day (and even sneak a little throughout the day while my husband is gone, lol), which is a huge bonus for me!
Try it and I'm sure you'll fall in love like we have! I love that we don't always have to have the traditional onions, potatoes, celery and carrots that normally come with pot roast.
We get to be creative. Personally, I suggest homemade mashed potatoes and Bush's Baked Beans! It's hard to get better than that!
What do you think about adding brown sugar to a pot roast?
© 2013 Victoria Van Ness