- Food and Cooking
The Best Ever Salisbury Steak recipe
I know you've had salisbury steak before. We all know how it's typically made; floured hamburger patties smothered in cream of mushroom soup. Yeah, yeah. Good but not great. The same old same old dish you've had since you were in grade school. But this is going to be MUCH different! I promise.
We've tried plenty of recipes for salisbury steak with no improvements. Then one day, I decided to do it a little bit differently and try it with a version of the way I make my meatloaf. There's no mushroom soup in this recipe.
And wow! Upon the very first bite, we realized we had hit a jackpot! This will be not only the most amazing food you've ever put into your mouth, but you'll want to make it again and again for your family and friends! Give it a try! You won't regret it!
- 1 packet French Onion Soup mix
- 1 1/2 pounds hamburger, as lean as possible
- 2 slices wheat bread
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- Place wheat bread slices in the bowl of a food processor. Process until fine crumbs form, about 10 seconds. Transfer breadcrumbs to a large mixing bowl. Do not substitute dried breadcrumbs in this step, as they will make your salisbury steak rubbery.
- Add 1/3 packet of French Onion Soup mix, hamburger, egg and salt to mixing bowl with breadcrumbs and mix well. Shape mixture into 6 even patties.
- In a large skillet, brown both sides of hamburger patties over medium-high heat. Pour off excess fat.
- In a small bowl, blend flour, water, and remaining French Onion Soup mix until smooth. Mix in ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and mustard powder until well-blended. Feel free to add in a little extra water 1 tablespoon at a time for the right thickness.
- Pour sauce over meat in skillet. Turn down heat to medium, cover, and cook for 20 minutes, marinating your patties occasionally.
- For more sauce, repeat sauce ingredients again. I promise you won't have too much! Feel free to also sprinkle with mushrooms, peppers, chopped onions, or anything else that sounds good. You can't go wrong!
|Serving size: 1 hamburger patty|
|Calories from Fat||288|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 32 g||49%|
|Carbohydrates 14 g||5%|
|Protein 23 g||46%|
|Cholesterol 132 mg||44%|
|Sodium 818 mg||34%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
My husband and I already love salisbury steak and have tried making them with a dozen different recipes. Oh my gosh! Upon putting the first bite into my mouth, we were both smitten! This recipe is amazing.
We even made it again the next night because we loved it so much! This is definitely going to be a regular part of our dinner rotation. We served it with homemade mashed red potatoes and roasted asparagus for THE MOST AMAZING MEAL we've ever had in our lives.
The sauce is so good, we ended up making a bit more to pour over our salisbury steaks and even our mashed potatoes. It was delicious! I highly recommend that you make a little extra the first time you try this recipe.
You'll be thanking me forever for sharing this recipe with you! Good luck on making it your own!