Best Fluffy Light Buttermilk Biscuit Recipe
The Perfect Biscuit
The Best Light Recipe cookbook from Cook's Illustrated has done it again! I have tried biscuit recipes from every source and this is by far my favorite. It is a bit unconventional but well worth the effort, which I don't think is extreme. I've found this recipe to be foolproof (even when I added the extra 1 cup of flour to the mixture). They are great for breakfast, for dinner, for soups, for strawberry shortcake ---just de-light-ful! They also freeze like a dream. I have modified the recipe to reflect how best to add in the flour as 1 cup of the flour is for rolling them. Try their book as the recipes are amazing! Or just try cooks.com for fantastic recipes of all kinds!
Photo Credit: WikiCommons by BrokenSphere
The Best Light Recipe - Fluffy Buttermilk Biscuits
For the highest rise, use a double-acting baking powder such as Calumet, Clabber Girl, or Davis. Store leftover biscuits in a zipper-lock bag. Reheat by placing on a baking sheet in a 475-degree oven for 5-7 minutes.
- Vegetable oil spray
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of unbleached all-purpose flour (DO NOT MIX WITH THE 2 CUPS - for shaping)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1-1/2 cups cold buttermilk
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 500 degrees. Spray a 9-inch round cake pan with the vegetable oil spray. Generously spray the inside and outside of a 1/4-cup dry measuring cup with the same spray; set aside. (You will measure the biscuits with this)
- Take the SEPARATE 1 cup of flour and spread on a rimmed baking sheet. (You will roll the biscuits in this 1 cup of flour before placing in the cake pan)
- Process the 2 cups of flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and baking soda in a food processor to combine - about six 1-second pulses. Scatter the butter cubs evenly over the dry ingredients and pulse until the mixture resembles pebbly, coarse cornmeal, eight to ten 1-second pulses. Transfer the dry mixture to a medium bowl.
- Add the buttermilk and stir with a rubber spatula until just incorporated - don't overmix. (The dough will be very wet and slightly lumpy)
- Working quickly, use the prepared 1/4-cup measure to scoop a level amount of dough and drop it from the measuring cup into the flour on the baking sheet. (Use a small spoon to pull it free if it sticks but handle as little as possible - you want air in the dough)
- Repeat with the remaining dough, forming 12 pretty evenly sized mounds. Once you have the 12 mounds of biscuit, dust each of the 12 pieces of dough with flour from the baking sheet.
- With floured hands, gently pick up a piece of dough, coat it with flour and gently shape into a rough ball, shake off any excess flour and place in the prepared cake pan.
- Repeat with the remaining dough, arranging 9 rounds around the perimeter of the cake pan and 3 in the center.
- Bake the biscuits for 5 minutes at 500, then reduce the oven temperature to 450 degrees and continue to bake until the biscuits are a deep golden brown - about 15 minutes longer.
- Cool the biscuits in the pan for 2 minutes, then flip them onto a clean kitchen towel. Turn the biscuits upright and break them apart and cool for 5 more minutes before serving.
How To Test Baking Powder For Freshness
Baking powder has to be tested frequently as it will lose the ability to provide leavening over time.
- Write the date that you OPENED it on a piece of tape and attach to the can. After 6 months, the baking powder should be tested to see if it is still good.
- To test, mix 2 teaspoons baking powder with 1 cup hot tap water. If there is an immediate fizzing and foaming reaction, it is still good. If the reaction is delayed or weak, throw it away and purchase a new can.
- A can of baking powder that has been open for a year or more should be replaced.
- Always check the date on the bottom of the can at time of purchase as well!
Southern Biscuit Making - An Art Form
Cooks.com Biscuit Recipes
Biscuit Cookbooks of All Kinds
Other Hubs About Biscuits
- Quick And Easy Recipe For Bisquick Baking Mix
- Pastry School: Buttermilk Biscuit Secrets
Welcome to my pastry school and online cooking school! Today's pastry is buttermilk biscuits. I attended one of those formal pastry schools, where I learned many basics, but I've largely expanded my...
- The 3 Best Restaurant BISCUIT RECIPES - KFC, Red Lob...
Nothing so warms the tummy as do the biscuits from some of our favorite restaurants. They transform us from our fast-paced daily lives to a better more homey place from our past. The cinnamon flakiness from...
- Biscuit Tortoni - Italian Dessert Made Simple
What is biscuit tortoni? It is basically an ice cream made with eggs and usually heavy cream - sometimes combined with ground/chopped almonds or crumbled macaroons or even chopped cherries. However, this...
- Canned Biscuits: Make Quick and Easy Appetizers Usin...
By Jackie D. Kimball You can make delicious, quick, and easy appetizers or brunch tarts using flaky type canned biscuits. You may have heard of a recipe in which you roll a canned biscuit around sausages...
- Biscuit Chicken Pot Pie
A timeless comfort food, chicken pot pie has been a favorite since before our grandparents. Like many great dishes however, the recipes change as they're handed down from generation to generation. The beauty...
- Quick Low-Fat Drop Biscuit Recipes
Free Recipe Database - Fat-Free, Sugar-Free, Low-Fat With variety of options for every occasion, these biscuit recipes are healthy, flavorful, quick to make, and quick to bake.
- Worlds Best Biscuit Recipes
My Grandmother Hattie Propst and her daughter my mother Virginia Walker were both blue ribbon biscuit cooks. My Grandmother Hattie Propst has sadly passed away but my mother Virginia Walker is still with us...
- Delicious Sweet and Fat Free Biscuit Collection for ...
Most of us having biscuits in our tea time . Kids in families love to have some nice snacks in that time. Kids are interested in snacks which looks great in color and in shape .They love foods in different...