- Food and Cooking»
- Breakfast Recipes
The Best Scone Recipe Ever!
Not your typical scone
Scones are notorious for being a dry and crumbly cake that must be dipped in tea or coffee to taste good. These scones are NOT THAT. They are bouncy, flouncy, moist and delicious tea cakes that will have your guests begging for more. Even better? They are made with four ingredients. You won't find a simpler recipe.
I use this recipe when I'm hosting a simple breakfast. I usually serve quiche, scones, fresh fruit, and tea. You can make these ahead of time (with the exception of cooking). Just leave them cut up and ready to go on a cookie sheet. If you absolutely have to cook them ahead of time, keep warm under a towel.
- 2 Cups Flour, Sifted
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
- 1 1/4 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
- If you have a kitchenaid mixer, add the bread hook tool and mix on medium high until the dough comes together. If not, just stir by hand.
- Once the dough has formed, put it on a floured surface and knead the dough until it is smooth.
- Using your hands, spread it out into a disc about 1/4 inch thick. You can use a rolling pin, but using your fingers gives it a more textured look.
- Score the dough into triangles and place on a cookie sheet.
- Put them in an UNPREHEATED oven. Set the temp to 425 degree.
- After 15 minutes, take them out. The tops should just start to brown.
- Take them out of the oven and spread a bit of unsalted butter on the tops.
- Sprinkle with sugar and serve!
Spicing them up
If you find the plain scones are a bit too boring, you can try adding the following ingredients:
- Candied ginger
They don't have to be triangles you know
If you prefer a round cake, use the rim of a glass to cut out perfect circles. Or you can shape them organically with your fingers.
Another note about multiple batches
Since the original instructions require an un-preheated oven, your second or third batch will be going into a hot oven. It's imperative you reduce the time to 10 minutes and check to make sure the bottoms are not burning.
Learn about the benefits of black tea
- The Health Benefits of Black Tea- Why Everyone Shoul...
Make drinking tea a part of your everyday routine and reap the health benefits and pleasure from a traditional English ritual. Cultures all over the world drink tea daily and Americans should too!
Serve them with loose leaf tea!
If you haven't enjoyed the beauty of some good loose leaf tea, you should try. You'll need a teapot, leaf filter, good Harney & Sons tea, and a bit of milk and sugar. Here's what you do:
1. Boil a kettle of water.
2. Place 1 tsp. per cup of tea (most teapots are between four and six cups) into the teapot.
3. Pour the water right over the leaves and set the timer for 3-4 minutes.
4. Using the filter (on top of the tea cup) pour the tea into teacups or mugs.
The origins of this recipe
I originally received this recipe from my mother-in-law, but she cannot remember where she got it either. So it is a bit of a mystery!
If you decide to try them, come back and leave in the comments what you thought. It is a different experience from the traditional scone, but I must say - I have never gone back since the day I found these. They are a staple in our household!