The Best Southern Buttermilk Biscuits
My Buttermilk Biscuits
Making home made biscuits is very easy and quick, and are so much better then the ones you buy in the store. I make these almost every morning and my family eats them up. Sever them up with sausage or red eye gravy and eggs and you have a breakfast that will stick with you all morning.
This recipe I learned from my grandmother. The amount of ingredients is how much I used last time I made these but I make it by sight so the amount my very some, if the mix seems to thin or thick add more flour or milk as needed.
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 6 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Crisco shortening, I love The butter flavored
- 2 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 400
- Mix all dry together, and using your fingers cut in Crisco or lard like you would for a pie dough. until it is crumbly.
- Make a well in the center and add milk. taking your fingers work from the center of the well out until all the flour mix and milk comes together to make a dough
- Turn out of a floured counter and kneed 2-4 times to make sure it is mixed well. Flour your rolling pin and roll out until it is about 1-2 in thick.
- Take your biscuit cutter or top of a glass and cut out biscuits until you run out of dough.
- Place in a cake pan or jellyroll pan ( cookie sheet) and Bake for 12-15 minutes or until brown on top and cooked though.
- Top with gravy, or butter and honey, or jam and enjoy