- Food and Cooking»
- Breakfast Recipes
The Best Southern Buttermilk Biscuits
My Buttermilk Biscuits
Making home made biscuits is very easy and quick, and are so much better then the ones you buy in the store. I make these almost every morning and my family eats them up. Sever them up with sausage or red eye gravy and eggs and you have a breakfast that will stick with you all morning.
This recipe I learned from my grandmother. The amount of ingredients is how much I used last time I made these but I make it by sight so the amount my very some, if the mix seems to thin or thick add more flour or milk as needed.
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 6 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Crisco shortening, I love The butter flavored
- 2 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 400
- Mix all dry together, and using your fingers cut in Crisco or lard like you would for a pie dough. until it is crumbly.
- Make a well in the center and add milk. taking your fingers work from the center of the well out until all the flour mix and milk comes together to make a dough
- Turn out of a floured counter and kneed 2-4 times to make sure it is mixed well. Flour your rolling pin and roll out until it is about 1-2 in thick.
- Take your biscuit cutter or top of a glass and cut out biscuits until you run out of dough.
- Place in a cake pan or jellyroll pan ( cookie sheet) and Bake for 12-15 minutes or until brown on top and cooked though.
- Top with gravy, or butter and honey, or jam and enjoy