Roasted Pork, the choice of tonight's meal
I usually settle for a crispy and crunchy top (skin), but this time, the skin was off when I purchased the meat. "Never mind" I thought.
If you plan your dinner time at 7 in the evening, start cooking your 6 to 8 pound pork shoulder roast 3 to 4 hours early. That is the stretch of cooking time. It felt weird a bit for me each time I start cooking as early as 3 o'clock in the afternoon.
So here we are, I hope you will enjoy this recipe. ≈ ♥ ≈
The Magic HelpersClick thumbnail to view full-size
- 6 lb Fresh Pork Shoulder
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1/2 cup pineapple cooking sauce or orange marmalade
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. Club House paprika
- 1 tbsp. Club House oregano
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. whole black pepper, crushed
- 1/4 cup salt
- 1 tbsp. fresh ginger, grated fine
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 3 pieces bay leaves, break in half
- 4 to 6 pieces Mandarins, squeezed onto roast
- a pinch rosemary, scatter on top of roast
- 2 stalks fresh green onion, chopped
Handsome Pork Roast
- Rinse well the pork shoulder roast. Pat dry with a paper towel. Slice portion cuts to have the sauce and other spices sip in between the flesh. Set aside.
- Gather ready all your ingredients: spices and marinades. In a small sauce pan, bring the marinade to a boil, fruit juices and brown sugar. Bring down to low heat, continue stirring and simmer about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Pour the mixture evenly over roast and in between cuts, wrap or cover and let soak in the fridge 4 hours to overnight (if you wish).
- You may add to your "sauce" mixture and all the rest of the ingredients and mix well onto the pork freshly squeezing Mandarins over it; OR, sprinkle and cover the roast with the spices. To rub spices separately, the roast must be wiped-dry from its marination.
- In this hub, I will put my instructions as the way I have prepared the roast to match the pictures. Set the oven-grill to 325 degrees. With the roast in your large roasting pan, pour any extra sauce over it, spreading it to the sides. Scatter some rosemary on top.
- Cook roast for at least an hour, brushing sauce every 20 to 30 minutes, and turning the roast every 1 hour interval to cook all sides. Poke a knife or make a small cut to the inner part close to the bone to see how cooked it is. If you are using a thermometer, it should register 140 degrees. Meat should be tender and juicy. If the top of roast starts to brown than the other sides, put over a piece of aluminum foil to protect the top from getting too roasted or burned. I try not to use the cover of the roasting pan to turn my roast golden on the outside.
- Remove and let sit for 3 minutes before slicing into portions. Garnish with fresh chopped green onions. Serve and use any sauce you have available. Enjoy!
- Cooking Roast Pork on open fire !How to Cook
Do you enjoy cooking a roast over the fire or would like to know how to cook a pork roast? The open fire is the best way of cooking while camping.