- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
The "Meatloaf Can Be Exciting" Recipe
Great Twist on an old Classic!!!
I cook and serve this meatloaf with my own homemade marinara sauce. If you don't have your own home cooked favorite sauce, please check mine out......coming soon! One alteration I have done to this recipe is add mushrooms. It may sound strange, but it turned out great. It is like a meal in itself with all of the meat and vegetables melted inside!
- 1-1.5 lbs. Ground Meatloaf mix, Veal, Pork, Beef
- 1/4 lb. Ground Sausage
- 1 Egg, Beaten
- 1/4 cup Onions, Chopped
- 1/4 cup Carrots, Chopped
- 1 Celery Stalk, Chopped
- 1/4 cup Dry Salame, Cubed
- Splash Whole Milk, Whisk with egg
- 1/4 cup Ricotta Cheese, Whole milk
- 1/4 cup Peas, Petite/Small
- 1/4 cup Bread Crumbs, Seasoned
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese, Grated
- 1/4 cup Shredded Mozzarella
- 2 tbs. Fresh Parsley, Chopped
- 1/4 tsp. Oregano
- 1/4 tsp. Pepper
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 2 tbs. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 cups Marinara Sauce
Ready to Cook!
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Prepare all of the ingredients listed above,this part takes the most time. In this step, you will add all of the ingredients except for shredded mozzarella and olive oil. As you chop and slice, you can place the ingredients in a large bowl. I recommend beating the egg in a separate bowl with the milk and then adding it to the mix. If you have a food chopper, you can utilize it for the onions, carrots and celery. Once you have placed the ingredients in a bowl, mix and fold by hand.
- Evenly mix the ground sausage and meatloaf mix together to give an overall even taste. Be careful not to squish the peas if they are from a can.
- Once everything is evenly mixed, you will drizzle some olive oil onto the bottom of the baking pan. Form your mix into the desired oblong shape of a meatloaf and then move it to the pan, coat the outside with the remaining olive oil and sprinkle some extra salt and pepper all over for taste.
- Pour about 1 cup of marinara sauce on top and on the sides of your meatloaf. Then sprinkle the mozzarella cheese just on the top. It helps to give a nice crispy shell.
- Cook the meatloaf, uncovered, at 375 for about 1 hr,15 minutes-1 &1/2 hours. I use a meat thermometer to test it and take it out when it reads at least 160 degrees.
- You are all done! Serve the meatloaf with the remaining sauce, for dipping of course, your favorite side dish and never forget the pane!(the bread) Fantastico!