Easy Homemade Peanut Butter Cups
Delicious Homemade Peanut Butter Cups
I'm telling you, I've been making these homemade peanut butter cups since high school, and they are a hit every time. Its hard to give them away for gifts, but try anyway! They would be great wrapped up in some red cellophane for the holidays or even Valentine's Day for your sweetheart.
Homemade peanut butter cups are also a great fall treat when the weather turns cool. My mom puts these out every year with the Christmas cookies and fudge.
The best part about this easy recipe may be that homemade peanut butter cups are no-bake and take only about 20 minutes from start to finish to make. A couple of hours in the refrigerator to set up, and you're ready to enjoy.
Preparation Time for Homemade Peanut Butter Cups
- Prep time: 20 min
- Cook time: 1 hour
- Ready in: 1 hour 20 min
- Yields: (no bake; chill 1 hr) Makes 20 2-inch squares
Preparing to Make Homemade Candy: Peanut Butter Cups
- 2 sticks margarine (melted)
- 1 3/4 cups graham cracker crumbs (finely ground)
- 1 cup peanut butter (smooth works best)
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup each chocolate and butterscotch chips, melted for the topping
- In a medium, microwave-safe bowl, place 2 sticks of margarine and microwave on high for 30 seconds. Stir and microwave for 30 seconds more or until completely melted. Set aside.
- In a food processor or blender, finely grind approximately 1 1/2 packages of graham crackers to create 1 3/4 cups crumbs.
- Pour into medium mixing bowl. Add powdered sugar, peanut butter and melted butter. Stir until well blended.
- Press peanut butter mixture into 9 X 13 glass pan, approximately 1/4 inch thick.
Rate these delicious Homemade Peanut Butter Cups!
Next Steps for Homemade Peanut Butter Cups
- In a separate microwave safe bowl, add 1 cup each chocolate and butterscotch chips. Microwave for 1 minute on high. Stir. Microwave for 1 additional minute, or until completely melted. Stir until blended.
- Pour over the top of the peanut butter mixture and spread over the top until completely covered.
- Refrigerate until firm, approximately 1-2 hours.
- Cut into bite-size pieces - note, may not cut into perfect squares, but still perfectly delicious!
A note of caution - if you start "testing" the scraps of your homemade peanut butter cups, it may be difficult to stop. This author is not responsible for any weight gain that may ensue!
Enjoy!! You only live once!
© 2008 Stephanie Hicks