The Oats Upma
The Oats Upma
Oats is one of the most of the most healthiest of foods. It is very healthy food and is known to being down bad cholesterol levels and thus very good for heart. It is good for digestion too and since it does not contain much calories and thus very good for those who are trying to loose weight. Basically upma is made from semolina. It is south Indian dish eaten in breakfast but can be eaten at any time of day in lunch and dinner too. Upma can be eaten as snack too,. Upma is very healthy as again it hardly contain any oil. Now when you make upma with oats it not only gets more healthy but children love it too. When we add vegetables to oats upma, it looks not only multicoloured but also increase taste and becomes more healthy.
- 2 cups Oats
- 4 1/2 Cups Water
- 1 Onion, Chopped
- 1/2 Green Bell Pepper, Sliced
- 1/2 Red Bell Pepper, Sliced
- 4 Pods Garlic, Chopped
- 25 Grams Pea, Shelled
- 1/4 Cabbage, Shredded
- Salt, As per taste
- 1/2 Tsp Garam Masala
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 20 grams Peanuts, Roasted or Fried
- Cilantro / coriander, Chopped for Garnishing
- Put the oats in a grinder and finely grind them
- Now dry roast the oats in a heavy base pan for about 3 minutes when they start turning brown and put the oats in a plate to cool.
- Now put oil in pan and when it is hot put onions, garlic and green chillies ( optional). Saute them till the onions are brown.
- Now add all the vegetable and saute till they are soft. Add salt and cover the pan with lid for couple of minutes after turning heat to low.
- Turn heat to high and add water. Bring it to boil. Divide oats in to three portions. Add first while stirring the mixture continuously. When it is mixed then add remaining two one by one in same way.
- Add Garam Masala. Mix well
- Keep stirring till all water is absorbed or evaporated.
- Garnish with chopped coriander /cilantro & roasted peanuts. Serve with coconut chutney and coriander chutney.
1.All vegetables are optional
2.You can add other vegetables you like like carrot.
3.Make sure water oats ratio is 2 ¼ to 1
4.Sweet corn kernels can also be added to it.