The Ten Apple Recipes to Try This Month: The Apple Pie with Salted Pecan Crumble.
Guess What? This month is National Apple Pie Month! and there are many ways to make this American classic apple pie: family recipes can be passed down from generation to generation, the new always takes on the ol-fashioned recipe, you can add fruit, to different toppings, or maybe do it with double crust, or no crust... the list goes on. Here I am adding the ten variations of this popular dessert. Your welcome to try one or more, or all of them, and even make this a family tradition. Today I will share with you how to do the Apple Pie with Salted Pecan Crumble.
Apple Pie with Salted Pecan Crumble
To the crust to the crumble to the vanilla whipped cream topping, all of this salty-sweet apple pie is homemade, not store bought. This pie recipe requires only 35 minutes of preparation work before adding the bits of apple pieces, it's a combination of McIntosh and Granny Smith apples.
The Ingredients for the Pie Dough:
- 1 1/4 cup(s)all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon(s)kosher salt
- 3 tablespoon(s)cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoon(s)cold vegetable shortening
- 3 1/2 tablespoon(s)ice water
The Ingredients for the pecan crumble:
- 2/3 cup(s)all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon(s)(packed)light-brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon(s)granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon(s)kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon(s)ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup(s)pecan pieces5 tablespoon(s)cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
Ingredients for the apple filling:
- 1/2 cup(s)granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoon(s)cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s)freshly ground nutmeg
- 6 (1/2 pound each)Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges
- 1/2 teaspoon(s)grated lemon zest
- Confectioners' sugar (if you want)
Ingredients for the Vanilla Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup of cold heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons of confectioners' sugar
- Scraped seeds from 1/2 split vanilla bean
Directions for preparation:
1. To create the pie dough: In a medium bowl, put together the flour and the salt. Add the butter and shortening, tossing with care until all pieces are fully covered with flour. With your pastry blender cut in butter and shortening until mixture looks like coarse crumbs. Add ice water, one tablespoon at a time, drizzling over flour mixture and tossing with a fork until dough begins to hold together. Turn dough onto a soft surface and smooth surface and make it into a ball, wrap it into a plastic wrapper and refrigerate it for about one hour.
2. To make the salted pecan crumble: In a food processor, put together the salt, flour, sugars, cinnamon, and, 1/3 cup of pecans, with your hands, crumble and squeeze mixture to make larger clumps. Refrigerate until you're ready to use it.
3. On a lightly floured surface or if you want between two sheets of waxed paper, roll out dough into a 1/8 inch thick 12-inch round. Fold it in half and ease gently on a 9-inch pie pan Unfold dough, letting pastry overhang edge. Trim overhang to 1 inch. Fold under and flute or crimp edge. Refrigerate shell. Set the oven to 350 degrees Ferenheit.
4.To make apple filling: In a large bowl, combine sugar, cornstarch, and nutmeg until blended. Add apples and zest; toss until apples are evenly coated. Remove pie shell from refrigerator and spoon apple filling into it, mounding filling in center of pie. Sprinkle crumble evenly over top of pie, gently pressing into place; place pie on a baking sheet.
Bake 1 1/2 hours, or until filling is bubbly and topping is golden brown. Let cool completely on a wire rack. Dust top of pie with confectioners' sugar, if desired. Serve with vanilla whipped cream.
To make vanilla whipped cream: In a large bowl with a hand-held mixer, beat heavy cream, confectioners' sugar, and the scraped seeds from 1/2 split vanilla bean until soft billowy peaks form.