The Taco Turkey Burger! The FUN alternative to red meat burgers!
Why Taco Turkey Burgers?
I occasionally have some friends over to barbecue that do not eat red meat. I guess I can understand that. Me myself I eat red meat all the time, but let’s be honest there are many health drawbacks involved with eating red meat. Some red meat are very high in saturated fats which can lead to elevated blood pressure which can lead to the risk of heart disease.
So if you are like my health conscience friends or maybe just exploring an alternative to the traditional burger I give you the recipe for The Taco Turkey Burger! (Que the heavenly music and lights)
Taco Turkey Burger; The FUN alternative to red meat!
- 1 small red bell pepper
- 2 small green peppers
- 1/2 large white onion
- 1 package of ground turkey
- 1 package of your favorite taco seasoning
- 1 egg
- vegetable oil
- 1 small can of diced green chili peppers
Delicious, healthy, and FUN cooking! Taco Turkey Burgers! Making helathy cooking fun!
Almost ready to eat!!
- Ok! Now that you know what you need, let’s get started!!! We are going to start out by taking our 1 small red bell pepper, 2 small green peppers, and 1 /2 of a large white onion and chopping them up in small pieces. You can make the pieces as small or as large as you feel comfortable. I like to chop my vegetables up very small, because we are going to be placing these ingredients into our taco turkey burger mix. Also, even after the mix is done I like to add even more fresh tasty veggies to my taco turkey burgers!!
- Now step two, we are going to be sauteing the following herbs and spices together with your chopped veggies. You’ll need, cilantro, S&P, basil, and oregano. Add 1 small can of diced green chili peppers, saute until mixture is fully cooked. Set aside to cool. These are going to add some pep to our burgers!
- While our sauteed mixture is cooling we are going to take 1 package of ground turkey and 1 package of your favorite taco seasoning and mix well, do your best to not make the mixture mushy! After all nothing bums out a guest more than a soggy taco turkey burger!! Now in a separate bowl we are going to beat 1 egg and add in our sauteed herbs and spices. Add corn meal as needed until the meat holds together. Mix in about 1/4 to 1/2 cup shredded mexican 4 cheese mix. Now you are ready to start forming delicious taco turkey patties!
- Place a small amount of vegetable oil in the pan, just enough to add a thick coat to the bottom of the pan. Remember it’s better to use less than more, you can always add more oil if you feel your pattie isn’t cooking properly. Cook your taco turkey burger patties on medium heat until the internal temperature reaches 180F.
- Abracadabra!! There you go!! Place your burger on the bun of your choice or if you are like me you can snuggle your turkey taco burger up in a little blanket or tortilla goodness! with some taco sauce! You can feel free to top your juicy taco turkey burger with whatever you please! Some suggestions I’ve heard and used are taco sauce, tomatoes, onions, lettuce and tortilla strips.