- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- New World Cuisine
The World's Best Lasagna Ever!
Also known as lasagne in Italy, lasagna is an Italian dish that is made up of layers of meats, pasta sheets, tomato sauce and cheese.
The word lasagna was derived from the pot that was originally used to the casserole. While no one knows for sure how old lasagna is, its recipe was originally found in the first England cookbook, so many people believed that it was an English dish.
There are many versions of lasagna. The most traditional lasagna recipe involves pasta, meat sauce, mozzarella and ricotta cheese. Other popular variations of lasagna include eggplant lasagna and spinach lasagna. Seafood and vegetarian versions of lasagna also exist.
Lasagna is quite simple and easy to prepare and it tastes better when left to sit for at least 8 hours or overnight.
Part of this recipe’s appeal is that all the ingredients used are basic. Anyone can prepare this dish, from anywhere and at any time. It’s not only the best lasagna recipe ever but also the easiest thing in the world. Aside from the availability of the ingredients and its simplicity, however, this lasagna is just dadgum great.
I have made this dish for my friends and guests since it was first scribbled down by my mother for me. The overwhelming consensus has always been that it is “The World’s Best Lasagna Ever!” So let’s get started!
- 1 egg
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 4 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp. Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. fennel seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp. basil leaves, dried
- 2 tbsp. white sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cans (6.5-ounce) canned tomato sauce
- 2 cans (6-ounce) tomato paste
- 1 can (28-ounce) tomato, crushed
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup onion, minced
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 pound mozzarella cheese, chopped into slices
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp. salt, plus 2 tsp. salt
- Cook ground beef, sausage, onion and garlic in a Dutch oven over medium heat for about 10 minutes or until well browned. Stir in tomato sauce, tomato paste, crushed tomatoes, and water.
- Add Italian seasoning, fennel seeds, basil, sugar, two tablespoons parsley, pepper and one tablespoon salt.
- Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 90 minutes. Cook the lasagna noodles in a large pot of boiling salted water for about 10 minutes. Drain the cooked noodles; rinse with cold water.
- Combine the remaining parsley, egg, ricotta cheese, and ½ tsp. salt in a mixing bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F). Spread about one and half cups meat sauce on the base of a 9×13-inch baking dish. Place 6 rinsed noodles over meat sauce lengthwise. Spread the noodles with half of the ricotta cheese mixture. Top with 1/3 mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat the procedure to make layers and top with Parmesan cheese and the remaining mozzarella cheese.Cover with foil and prevent sticking by ensuring the foil does not touch the cheese or spray with cooking spray.
- Bake for about 25 minutes; remove the foil and continue baking for another 25 minutes. Let cool for about 15 minutes. Enjoy!
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||189|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 21 g||32%|
|Carbohydrates 36 g||12%|
|Fiber 4 g||16%|
|Protein 30 g||60%|
|Cholesterol 84 mg||28%|
|Sodium 1788 mg||75%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|