- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes»
- Chocolate Desserts
The ultimate chocolate pound cake recipe
This recipe is the ultimate chocolate pound cake because it has both, cocoa powder and melted chocolate for the intense chocolate flavour with added chocolate chips, and sour cream for the moisture. It is my absolute favourite chocolate cake. It is even more decadent with a ganache frosting!
This recipe was made by Williams Sonoma for the big Anniversary Bundt pan. It makes a huge amount of batter! So, if you don't have a 15-cup Bundt pan, prepare 2 pans! You can also make a few cupcake sized cakes or use any other pans you have. It freezes beautifully, so you can reap the results of your labour a few times!
- 2 1/4 cups ap flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup unsweetend cocoa powder
- 1 cup boiling water
- 7 1/2 oz. semi-sweet chocolate
- 10 oz. butter
- 2 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 5 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour the 15 cup Anniversary Bundt pan, or 2 loaf pans. Mix together the chocolate, cocoa powder and boiling water until chocolate is melted and everything well mixed. Set aside to cool slightly. Mix the flour and the baking soda in a separate bowl.
- Beat the butter until smooth. Add the brown sugar and vanilla and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add the eggs, beating well after each addition.
- Fold in the flour mixture in three additions, alternating with the sour cream and beginning and ending with the flour, until just blended and no lumps of flour remain. Then gently fold in the chocolate mixture followed by the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan(s) and bake for 1 hour or until bake tester comes out clean. A loaf pan might be ready in 40 minutes.