- Food and Cooking
Five of The Best Prawn Recipes: From Crisp Tempura to Bacon Wrapped Prawns: Easy and Tasty Recipes
Prawns and shrimps are pretty similar so either crustacean will work wonderfully in the following dishes. If you want to clarify the difference between prawns and shrimp check out the link at the bottom.
Make and Rate
Easy Tempura Prawns
Devein and Clean Your Prawns
Tempura Prawn Recipe
Use medium sized (20/30) prawns for the following dishes. Prawns or shrimps are perfect for this dish. Allow about 4/5 for a snack or starter and 8/10 for a main meal. If you are having a party just do lots. Trust me they'll go down like a lead balloon.
This is a very quick and easy recipe.
- sunflower oil for deep frying
- a deep fryer or deep bottomed pot
- raw prawns defrosted, deveined and shelled, tail intact, make sure prawns are dry
- 120 grams / 4 oz of flour
- 150 ml / 1/4 pint chilled soda water
- 1 medium egg
- Crack the egg into a bowl and whisk.
- Add chilled water, mix in sifted flour and blend.
- Holding the the tail dip the raw prawn into the mix and then into the hot oil.
- Repeat till all the prawns are fried to a nice golden colour.
- Remove with slotted spoon onto kitchen towel to remove excess oil.
- To check your oil is hot enough drop a little of the batter mix into the oil, when it sizzles and fries (30 sec) your oil is hot enough.
Any of The Following Will be Delicious:
- a squeeze of lemon
- a sweet chili dip
- a hot spicy dip
- lemon mayo
- marie-rose sauce
- soya sauce
- one of the sauces from Lizzie's Kitchen (featured below)
- homemade tartar sauce
Homemade Tatar Sauce Recipe:
- 2 to 3 pickled gerkins
- 10 capers
- a tablespoon of mayonnaise
- a squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- Chop the pickled gherkins and the capers very finely.
- Add the mayo and lemon juice, mix together.
- Add a little more or less of the ingredients to suit your own personal taste.
- Dust your tempura prawns with a little paprika and serve with a lemon wedge for a touch of glamour.
Oven Baked Prawns
- raw, defrosted, deveined, shell on prawns (allow 8/10 per person)
- good quality olive oil
- a diced red chili
- 3/4 crushed garlic cloves (leave skins on and just bash with a heavy utensil)
- the juice of one fresh lemon
- lemon wedges to serve
- Set your oven to a medium heat.
- In a large roasting dish scatter the crushed garlic and diced red chili.
- Drizzle over a good slug of olive oil.
- Place the dish in the oven for about 10/15 minutes.
- Remove and add the raw prawns.
- Drizzle over a little more oil and a squeeze of lemon, return to the oven for about 20/30 minutes or until the prawns are a deep blushing pink.
- 10 minutes before your prawns are ready, add a can of chopped tomatoes and sprinkle over plenty of flat leaf parsley and return to the oven.
- Serve with crusty bread and a glass of dry white wine, delicious.
- When the prawns are cooked squeeze over some lemon juice and dot with chili butter (finely dice some fresh red chilies and mix into soft butter) or garlic butter if you prefer
- Serve with crusty bread to mop up the butter and a glass of chilled dry white wine.
Oodles of Noodles
Kitchen Wok: Perfect for Stry Fry Prawns
Recipes for Shellfish and Seafood Lovers
Prawn Noodle for 4
- 32 defrosted, deveined and shelled prawns
- a good bunch of fresh chopped spring onion
- fresh ginger peeled and sliced (4/5 oz, but add or subtract to your own taste)
- 100 ml of good olive oil
- 2 large crushed garlic cloves
- 1 finely chopped red chili
- two good handfuls of mange tout
- a splash of sesame oil
- a wok or paella pan
- Heat the oil till slightly smoking.
- Add in the garlic and chili cooking for a minute.
- Add ginger, spring onions and the mange tout.
- Lastly add the prawns, cooking till pink.
- Add a splash of sesame oil just before serving and dinner is ready.
- This simple prawn dish is just wonderful served with chinese noodles; egg or rice noodles work equally well (cook the noodles according to the packet instructions) drain and toss together with the prawns to mix.
- Add a drizzle of sesame oil to the noodles and serve.
Quick Prawn Pasta for 2
- 16 defrosted, deveined and shelled prawns
- a good bunch flat leaf parsley
- two handfuls of spinach leaves
- 1 or 2 sliced red chilies
- 50 ml olive oil
- half a lemon
- 100 grams of spaghetti
- a wok or paella pan
- Cook your pasta according to packet instructions.
- When your pasta is almost cooked (about 4 minutes to go) heat your oil in the wok.
- Add the chili, fry for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add in the prawns, fry for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Drain the pasta (keeping a little of the pasta water) and toss into your prawns.
- Pop in the spinach, parsley, squeeze of lemon and the remaining pasta water.
- Cook for 1 to 2 minutes stirring to mix the ingredients evenly.
- Drizzle a little toasted sesame oil over the finished dish and sprinkle with diced red chili flakes for an extra kick.
- This dish is very healthy with less then 350 calories per serving.
A Little More Info: Choosing, Cleaning and Cooking Prawns
- Prawn or shrimp?
Both the prawn and the shrimp are very similar , however people are often eating a prawn thinking it's a shrimp and vice versa. They are both crustaceans and from similar families. The prawn has the claim to...
Blue Dragon Dipping Sauce
Bacon Wrapped Prawns
Prawns wrapped in bacon are absolutely fantastic. Brilliant for a fancy starter or as finger food at a party. These delightful little bites can be thrown in the oven, the griddle pan or even on your BBQ during summer evenings. You will need:
- defrosted, deveined and shelled prawns (4 per person)
- a little oil to brush each prawn
- a thin slice of bacon to wrap each prawn
- cocktail sticks to hold bacon in place
- a flat oven tray or baking sheet
- Heat your oven to a medium heat.
- Place your slice of bacon lying flat.
- Put your prawn at one end and roll.
- Secure with a cocktail stick and brush with a little oil.
- Repeat this method with remaining prawns.
- Put the rolled prawns on a tray and place in the oven for about 20/25 min, till the prawns are a blushing pink and bacon is crispy.
- As a finger food with a dip; spicy tomato or sweet chili is good.
Make Your Prawn Cocktail Wow and Your Prawn Noodle Evolve From Soup to Supper.
Put a Little Pzazz into Your Prawn Cocktail Sauce:
- Mix mayo, tomato sauce, a squeeze of lemon and a little tabasco, taste to your liking.
- Add a splash of brandy to your cocktail sauce to a give a fantastic kick.
- Be luxurious add a splash of cream.
- Dust your prawn cocktail with a little paprika for colour.
- Lastly, serve in a wide bottomed glass bowl to impress.
Turn Your Prawn Noodle into Something Special:
- Cook your noodles in chicken stock with a splash of soya, throw in your prawns = noodle soup.
- Add a splash of sesame oil just before you serve and sprinkle with snipped chives.
- Add a little bok choy for colour, or keep it simple and add shredded cabbage.
- Bulk your noodle soup up, add bean shoots, green beans or peas, baby sweet corn, sliced mushrooms, spinach leaves, finely chopped baby leeks.
- Spice up your life; add sliced deseeded red or green chilies, a splash of hot chili sauce or chili powder.
- Opt for a little garlic and 5 chinese spice to liven up your noodles and give those taste buds a real tickle.
© 2010 Gabriel Wilson