- Food and Cooking»
- Cooking Ingredients
The Versatility of Salt
Salt - Good For More Than Just Seasoning
Salt is good for many things other than seasoning your food. I was amazed when I first started looking at the many uses. I decided to share some of what I consider the best uses with you.
- Make a little paste using equal parts of salt and starch using enough water to make a stiff paste to fill plaster holes in your wall.
- Use salt to kill weeds in your lawn.
- Soak new glasses in warm salty water for awhile before using.To prevent your clothes from freezing to your clothesline soak your clothesline in salt.
- To prevent your clothes from freezing on the line use salt in your final rinse cycle.
- To prevent your wicker furniture from yellowing rub it with salt water.
- To freshen your sponges, soak them in salt water.
- To remove burned-on stains from enamel pan, soak them overnight in salt water and then boil salt water in them the next day.
- To clean your piano keys, use a mixture of salt and lemon.
- To remove ink from your carpet, pour a mound of salt on the mark and let it soak it up.
- Before using clothespin boil them in saltwater, they will last longer.
- Use salt to clean your stained coffee pot.
- To keep ants away, sprinkle salt on the windowsill.
- Clean greasy pans with salt and a paper towel.
- If you have a pair of mismatched knee high hose boil them in salty water and they will come out matching.
- Use salt and soda to sweeten the odor of your refrigerator.
- Salt and cinnamon will remove odors from your oven.
- Lemon juice and salt removes mildew.
- To remove grease stains from clothing mix one part salt to four parts alcohol.
- To stop grass from growing between sidewalk bricks, sprinkle salt between them.
- A strong solution of hot salty water will remove odors from your sink drains.
- A sprinkle of salt in a milk scorched pan will remove odor,
- To prevent fruit from discoloring, soak them in mildly slated water before peeling.
- To make your milk stay fresh a little longer add a little salt to it.
- A pinch of salt makes cocoa more flavorful.
- When boiling eggs, salt water boils faster.
- Salt, just a touch, improves the flavor of coffee.
- Add a sprinkle of salt to help Gelatin set faster.
- When cooking pancake, if you rub a little salt in your pan the pancakes will not stick.
- Mildly salted water is a great mouthwash.
These are just a few of the many uses of salt. Everyday it seems someone comes up with a new way of using it. It's great to be so versatile.
Salt Facts and Trivia
- A good quality sea salt contains many of the essential minerals that your body needs.
- Processed food accounts for most of the sodium and salt used in food.
- Napoleon's troops died during his retreat from Russia, because their wounds did not heal because of a lack of salt.
- Salt was used as a ritual method of suicide among the nobility years ago. To die by means of salt you need to take 1 gram of salt per kilogram of weight.
- The adult human body contains about 250 grams of salt equal to about 1/2 a pound.
- You should eat less than the total of 1 tsp of salt a day.
- In Buddhist and western spiritual traditions, salt repels evil spirits.
- During the Middle Ages salt was so expensive that it was commonly referred to as 'White Gold'.
- Fruits and vegetables are nearly salt free.
- Salt is one of the four tastes that the human tongue can distinguish. The other three are; Sweet, sour and bitter.
- Only 6% of all salt used in the US is used in food.
- "Natural" sea salt can cost up to $56 a pound.
- Health and Beauty Uses for Baking Soda
Baking soda may be an inexpensive kitchen ingredient but it plays an important role in your health and beauty routine. Its medicinal and personal care uses were endorsed by the United State Pharmacopoeia (USP)...
- Miraculous Baking Soda
Did you know that during the early part of the 20th century, baking soda was prescribed for flues and colds? I bet you would be surprised to learn that an oncologist in Italy, Dr. Tullio Simoncini is using...
- Home Made Cleaning Solutions-16 Ways To Use Baking S...
Baking soda cleaning tips Second only to Vinegar for the amount of house hold tasks this heavy weight of the kitchen can take on. Baking soda is often looked over in favour of other more expensive items...
- Easy Christmas Crafts: Salt Dough Ornaments
Have you ever thought about making your own Christmas ornaments? Salt dough is a wonderful medium for ornaments that requires no special skills and little expense. In fact, you most likely have the...