How to Make Pound Cake - Recipe for Buttery and Delicious Pound Cake
Recipe for How To Make Delicious Pound Cake
Pound cake is traditionally known to consist of a pound of butter, a pound of flour, a pound of sugar and a pound of eggs. When I decided to try baking a variation of this pound cake from scratch for the first time, I looked to several pound cake recipes on the internet before deciding on how to make my version of pound cake. I received a bit of guidance from the
- "Mama's Pound Cake" recipe on foodnetwork.com
- "Glorious Sponge Cake" recipe at allrecipes.com.
Among the many things that we can love about delicious pound cake is the simple list of ingredients.
While we might love sweet cake dessert treats from time to time, it is wonderful when you can have some pound cake that contains no artificial colors or artificial flavors and the pound cake tastes just as good or perhaps even better than some of those types of cakes that do contain artificial color dyes and artificial flavors.
That's just one very significant thing that can make you feel better about choosing to prepare this delicious pound cake among many other types of cake that you can choose to prepare.
It's natural to feel uneasy about having too many artificial ingredients in the foods that we regularly buy and prepare. This pound cake recipe offers a more natural set of ingredients than quite a lot of other cake recipes.
What you will need
The bullet points below is a list of what you will need to make a moist, buttery and delicious pound cake.:
- 2& 1/2 sticks of butter (4 sticks is a pound)
- 2& 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 eggs (a dozen is a pound)
The ingredients above can yield 1 round pound cake in a 9 inch pan plus 6 pound cake muffins/cupcakes.
Instructions for how to make pound cake
- Line muffin pan with foil muffin cups and grease these with a bit of canola oil. Grease and flour a 9 inch round no stick pan as well (even though the pan is no stick, it helps to take this added step).
- Add the following ingredients to a blender: the 3/4 cup canola oil (Add this first. As a general rule, adding liquid first helps for a smooth blending process.), the 2 & 1/2 sticks of butter (unsalted) and the 2 & 1/2 cups of sugar. Blend until smooth. (The consistency and taste will be enticing, like a frosting. I happened to find that making another batch of just this would be a delicious frosting/topping for the cake. That is something that you might think about doing although this cake will already be rich and not really need frosting.)
- You can preheat your oven to 350 degrees now.
Pound cake batter
Instructions for how to make pound cake - continued
4. Pour the 3 cups of flour, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda and 6 eggs into a bowl. Mix by hand very well until all of the eggs are blended in. This can take upwards of 5 minutes. When the mixture is stiff but blended, then scrape all of the mixture that is in the blender out into the bowl with the flour mixture. Stir frequently to mix the 2 mixtures together completely.
5. Pour the pound cake batter into the cake pan 3/4 high so that it does not overflow the pan as it rises a bit while cooking.
6. Use a ladle or big spoon to pour the remaining pound cake batter into the 6 muffin cups.
7. Place the round cake pan and muffin pan side by side on the top shelf of a large oven. The muffin pan can be removed after 30 minutes. The cake pan can be removed after 45 minutes. When you open the oven to remove the muffin pan, the round pound cake would have already baked well enough so that it does not sink. You can then close the oven and allow the pound cake to continue baking.
8. Cool the pound cake and enjoy!
Pound cake - cupcakes fresh from the oven
Please rate this pound cake recipe:
The Science Behind Pound Cake video
© 2011 Nyesha Pagnou MPH