Three ways with eggs
The perfect boild egg
You can beat them, boil them and whip them into shape. The humble egg is a star ingredient. Use the freshest eggs you can find for this recipe and for the other recipes, too, preferably organic, but most definitely free-range. A medium-size eggs will be sufficient for all three dishes.
This boiled egg with toast combination is perfect breakfast for todlers, who doesn't love dipping their soldier into this ultimate comfort food?
What you need:
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- medium slice bread for toasting
- low-fat margarine, for spreading
Three steps to prepare, and you only need 2 minutes prepare time, and 3-7 minutes cook time.
- Bring a medium pan of water to the boil and lower the egg into the water. Boil for 6 minutes. (For a really soft-boiled egg, cook for 3 minutes; for a hard-boiled egg, cook for 7 minutes.)
- Meanwhile, toast the bread, spread with margarine and cut into soldiers.
- Remove the egg from the water using a slotted spoon and pop into an egg cup. Serve with the soldiers and a little black pepper.
Fast Florentine pizza
This is a tasty Italian pizza that's simple and quick to make. You can prepare pizza base for yourself or buy Italian deep-pan pizza base from supermarket.
What you need:
- 1 x Italian deep-pan pizza base
- 4 tbsp tomato and herb pizza topping
- 200g spinach, washed and drained
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
Four steps to prepare, and only takes you 10 minutes prepare time and 20 minutes cook time:
- Preheat the oven to 200oC, fan 180oC, gas mark 6. Put the pizza base on a baking sheet and spread with the pizza topping.
- Microwave the spinach on high for 2 minutes. Squeeze out any excess water. Scatter over the pizza and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove the pizza and make 4 holes in the spinach. Crack an egg into each hole, then return the pizza to the oven for 8 minutes, or until the eggs are to your liking.
- To serve, sprinkle over the Parmesan and grind over a little black pepper, to taste.
French Omelette with fine herbs
Quick, easy and very tasty, this French omelette makes a satisfying meal.
- The ingredients:
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp whole milk
- 1 tbsp each freshly chopped chives and parsley
You need two steps to make the omelette, and only take 10 minutes to prepare, and 3-5 minutes to cook.
- Put the olive oil in a 15 cm omelette pan over a medium heat. Meanwhile, beat together the eggs, milk and herbs in a bowl. Season with pepper. Once the oil is sizzling, tip the mixture into the pan, swirling to coat the bottom evenly. As the mixture begins to set, gradually push the runny edges of the omelette into the centre of the pan using a fish slice or spatula.
- Continue to cook for a further 3-4 minutes or until almost set, then use a spatula to push the omelette onto a plate, folding it as you go. Serve immediately