Tilapia Fish with Red Dates and Tofu Soup Recipe
How do you like Tilapia with Red Dates and Tofu Soup?
Soup is a main part of a complete meal for Chinese people. Chinese have tried using all different types of ingredients to make delicious soups. Tilapia and Tofu soup is one of most nutritious seafood soups I have made. It is a very popular daily soup among Chinese because it is good for everyone to drink. Just like the other Chinese soups, Tilapia and Tofu soup requires cooking for over an hour. The preparation time depends on whether the fish is clean. Many Asian supermarkets offer cleaning service when you buy fish from them. Therefore, in order to shorten the preparation time, I usually ask for the cleaning service so that I don't have to deal with headache of removing the scales from the fish myself.
- 1 Tilapia, About 2 lbs, cleaned
- 1 box Tofu, Soft
- 6 oz Red Dates
- 5 - 8 slices Ginger
- 1/2 tb Salt
- 1 bunch Cilanto, Optional
- In a large pot, add in Tilapia, red dates, ginger and 8 cups of water, bring it to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Carefully remove the Tilapia out of the soup with help of a pair of chopsticks and a sieve to a large bowl. In order to avoid the chance of any fish bones left in the soup, transfer the soup to a different pot. Make sure that you use a sieve to block any solids from going into the other pot when you pour the soup in.
- Cut the tofu into small rectangles and add them into the soup after the soup has been transferred. Bring the soup to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Optional: Add in the cilantro if you like. Turn off the heat.
How to Season the cooked Tilapia into A Delicious Main Dish
Different types of meat that are used for making Chinese soup can be turned into very delicious meals. So don't through them away. For the Tilapia and Tofu soup, here are the steps to make a delicious dish with the Tilapia after using it to make the soup:
- When the soup is done cooking, carefully remove the Tilapia meat from the bone.
- Wash 10 - 15 stalks of green onion, cut them into small pieces.
- In a skillet, heat up 2 tbsp of Olive Oil, throw in the white part of the green onion first and keep the heat on high.
- Spread in 2 tbsp soy sauce.
- When the soy sauce is sizzling, pour in the rest of the green onion. Stir for about a minute and turn off the heat.
- Spoon the sauce on top of the Tilapia meat.
- Serve with rice and vegetable.
How to Steam Rice
Steamed rice is very easy to make if you have a rice cooker. Wash the rice a few times with water, each time pouring out the dirty water until the water runs clear. Add in the require amount of water according to the rice cooker. Press the button for cooking rice, then the rice cooker will do the rest of the job for you. But if you don't have a rice cooker, the rice and water ratio should be 1 to 3.5. In a pot, bring the water to a boil, add in the rice, lower the heat after the water is boiling again. Simmer until you see holes in between kernels of rice.
How to Steam Vegetables
Steam vegetables is also simple and easy. It should only take a few minutes. Here are the basic steps:
- Wash the vegetables of your choice.
- Mince 2 cloves of garlic,
- Cut a few slices of ginger.
- Add 1 cup of water to a large skillet and bring it to a boil,
- Keep the heat on high, add in the vegetables, cover the skillet with a lid as this will help cook the vegetables faster. If you don't have a lid to cover the skillet, keep turning the vegetable so that the vegetable on the top get a chance to be cooked in the water. Cook for about 2 -3 minutes depending upon the type of vegetables you use.
- Turn off the heat. Add some Olive Oil and salt to taste.